Hardee's = Carl's Jr - any other chains have different names?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Apr 10, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Reading about the Six Dollar Burger in the Spiderman thread, I realized that Hardee's seems to be the same as Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr is what it's called here, I had no idea they existed anywhere else under a different name.
    Carl's Jr has the worst commercials, always a bunch of slobby people spilling the grease and juice from the burger all over themselves. Everyone I know hate their commercials, and I don't know anyone that goes there to eat. I went there once, and it was the greasiest most disgusting burger I've ever had. Is Hardee's the same?
    What other chains (food or otherwise) have different names in different parts of the US?
    /Mike

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I like Carl's Jr's commercials and I eat there.

Why do they have different names?

~T

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Dunno if Hardees in the same or not--but the Big Boy restaurants go by different monikers in different parts of the country. Here they're called "Big Boy," while in the South they are called "Shoney's."

Agreed about Carl's Jr.'s ads: they're so disgusting I don't even want to patronize the chain--even though I'm interested in the $4.95 "Six-Dollar Burger."

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

"Shop & Save" was/is a supermarket chain in Maine, but when they expanded to other states they opened under the name "Hannaford's" (presumably to avoid confusion with "Stop & Shop"). Now some of their ME stores are being relabeled "Hannaford's".
    Also, when "Shaw's"'s parent company purchased "Star Market", the latter became the former in all but name - I figure because replacing signs is expensive. [​IMG]

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Actually, looking closer at the menu's of the two chains, they seem to not be exactly the same, but they share some burgers, the fonts and the logo. They're owned by the same company, and they serve fast food, so I would think they are at least very similar.

Never heard of "Star Market", except it makes me think of the Texaco gas stations.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Though their burgers may not be much, they're morning biscuits/hash browns are excellent, as is the fried chicken. At least at Hardees, not sure about Carls Jr; the only Carls I ate at was in OKC.

7. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

To add to what Jack said about "Big Boy." In California (and perhaps other states) they are "Bob's Big Boy," but in Utah (and maybe others) they are "JB's Big Boy" and use the same Big Boy logo.
    Oh yeah...and the "Six Dollar Burgers" at Carl's Jr. are very good. [​IMG]

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Lucky Jack's = Burger King

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Vegas:

Vons = Safeway (Supermarket)

10. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Around here, Hardee's is best known for breakfast. Not their burgers.

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I was going to mention Vons but I think they are a different story. Vons was a separate entity until they were bought out by Safeway. Southern California also has Vons but no Safeway. Northern California has Safeway, but no Vons.

I think they're also under different management. I know that when we lived in So. Cal. we saved 60-70% on groceries each week shopping at Vons by combining sales with coupons...and they double coupons. But now that we are in No. Cal. we don't get double coupons at Safeway and don't see those kinds of savings.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Checkers=Rally's
    Join the boycott! You DON'T GOTTA EAT! [​IMG]
    (do a search on my old thread)

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

The Vons here in Vegas sells all of Safeway's branded stuff. I always assumed that they were owned by Safeway since they sold all of their stuff. Vons does label some of their own generic stuff, but alot of it is Safeway brand.

14. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I always thought Hardee's was like Roy Rogers. But I think RR went out of business or got snatched up by McDonald's or something.
    The Judy's chain used to be a spitting image of Wendy's...so much so that Wendy's won a trademark infringement suit and put them out of business.
    If I recall from my trips down south, Krystal's is just about the same as White Castle...only the sliders taste better. [​IMG]

15. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Jack,we have(had) both big boy and shoneys here at the same time,I am not sure they are the same and shoneys buffett was always bigger/better

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I didn't know that Vons was the same as Safeway. We have Safeway here, but in San Diego when we were there, they had Vons.

/Mik

17. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I've always wondered if Carl's Jr. and Hardees were owned by the same people. They both use a big star as their logo and have a "Six Dollar Burger". I don't think they're menus are exactly the same, though.

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Steve, do you have them both in your area?

19. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Hardees is from around these parts, they have great breakfast foods but sorry lunch and dinner. Well the fried chicken is good but that's about it.

Anyway they got bought out by Carl's Jr.

So around here they are still Hardees but have Carl's Jr. hamburgers.

I hate to say it, but the Carl's Jr. burgers aren't any better than the old Hardees burgers.

I know some people who tried a $6 burger and said it's the same burger with big toppings.

Hardees is still mainly a breakfast place around here, great biscuits. (hey were in the south ... biscuits are a big deal).

20. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter