What's new

Hard-wiring a projector: Is this dangerous? (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
As I am running cables in my walls I have a decision to make. Do I run the power cable through the wall, then back out under the electrical box to plug in? Or do I cut open the power cord and splice it directly into the electrical wiring? If I did the latter, I could just unplug it from the projector itself until I needed to use it? Is there any danger in splicing into existing wiring?

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Your first option is most certainly illegal. You aren't allowed to run power or extension cords through a wall.

As for the splicing, is this simply a case of your not having an outlet near the projector? Rather than going through all of the trouble hacking your power cable why not just run a leg off the existing outlet and put another outlet near the projector?

I apologize if I've misinterpreted what you're trying to do, but I have to believe there's a better option than splicing into the power cable.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
I believe both options would be serious code violations. If there's a fire and your jimmie-rigged wiring is the culprit you could have major insurance problems. Do it the right way and have an outlet run to the projector.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Do you have access to do a run from the electrical panel to the projector area and mount a ceiling-mounted electrical outlet? You could do a dedicated run so that the projector is the only device using that breaker.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
You guys are all right. I already have the sections of drywall out so I can splice in another romex line from the box below, up into the ceiling to another outlet box. That way I don't even need to use an extension cord. I already have 25' of thicker guage Romex that I could use. Although the house seems to be using a flat, thinner type of cable. Can I still use my thicker guage wire in an existing electrical system?
PS: This is a 2nd story room with no access to a panel.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Can I still use my thicker guage wire in an existing electrical system?
14-gauge is typical for a 15A circuit. 12-gauge for a 20A circuit. I hate giving advice on this, because other things may be important, like local codes, total length of circuit, etc.... but these are typical numbers. I don't know of any reason that a larger gauge wire couldn't be added to a smaller-- just make sure that the total load on the "borrowed circuit" will not exceed its capacity. The projector will likely add 2-4 amps to that circuit.

What projector are you using and what gauge wire did you buy?
Have you already calculated the total load on that circuit?

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
1. As long as you use at least 12G Romex for a circuit with a 20A breaker and 14G for 15A, you're legal.

2. Also note that there are box-fill limitations. The electrical boxes are either standard dimensions or have a cubic-inch number stamped on them. In either case, a 14G conductor counts as 2 inches and 12G as 2.25. All of the grounds count as as single wire of the largest size. All of the internal clamps count as a single largest wire. Each device (outlet/switch) counts as 2 wires. The total cubic inches used must be

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks