Hard upgrade decision, opinions needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianWoerndle, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I am hoping to use my bonus this year for my next upgrade. I am looking at the $1000 range. Bear with me as I describe my situation and thoughts.
    Here is my current setup:
    More pictures
    Here is my current equipment list.
    I want to get a new receiver, as the JVC is currently my weakest link. I would like to get a Denon, but am open to other options. Right now the JVC is the center of everything, and since I have other JVC components, it is truly one touch operation. I like that, but am ready to give it up for better quality.
    Option 1 :
    Denon 1803; picture; $500
    An excellent entry level receiver with 6.1. You get alot for $500 [​IMG] . It will improve the quality of what I have now, but it doesn't really have more inputs than I have now [​IMG] . Also, at only 80 watts per channel, it is not the most powerful. (Still better than the JVC). Now with the money left over I can upgrade my fronts to Paradigm Monitor 5's [​IMG] . I have always wanted the 5's, but couldn't afford them when I got the speakers (Don't get me wrong, I love my Minis). Then I can replace the Titans in the rear with the Minis. I have 1 Titan left for the rear center [​IMG].
    Advantages:
    New Denon
    New front speaker
    Upgraded rears
    Disadvantages:
    Similar I/O scheme
    Lower (realative) power
    No central control
    Option 2:
    Denon 3803; picture; $1200
    The cream of the crop for Denon (without being insane and getting THX). This receiver has everything. 7.1. Tons of power. Enough I/O to make your eyes fall out. Multi room. Learning remote. This is a beast, considering my system. Probably overkill [​IMG]. I would blow my whole budget on this. But, I would no longer need a switch box (And still have inputs left over). This would be the last receiver before pre/pro. But, no new speakers, and still 5.1 [​IMG] . I could upgrade later though.
    Advantages:
    Monster receiver
    Tons of power
    Enough I/O for a long time
    Learning remote to retain one touch operation
    Multi room
    Disadvantages:
    Expensive
    Still will only have 5.1
    No new speakers
    Considerations:
    1. Are Paradigm Monitor 5's going to be that much better with a good sub crossed at 80hz? [​IMG]
    2. The Paradigm Monitor 5's will line up with the center tweeter nicely, giving a more balanced sound. [​IMG]
    3. Where do I go with the rear speaker in 6.1? [​IMG]
    4. Where do I go with the side speakers in 7.1? [​IMG]
    5. I am pre-wired for 7.1.
    6. Is the 1803 enough? Will I need to upgrade again soon?
    Help. What should I do. Any ideas and opinions are greatly appriciated. Thanks.

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Bump. Does anyone have any insight on this at all?

BTW: It is used for about 70% music, 30% movies.

3. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I won't get into all the speaker issues, but I would look at the Denon 3802. This is now a old model but it has 90% (+ or -) of the features of the 3803. I recall people on this site getting it for $699 a few months ago. I'm assuming you could still find a new one for around $550 and still have some money left over for other items. I've had the 3802 for 6 months and it sounds great. Hope this helps.

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I would go with option one. Upgrading your reciever from the JVC to the Denon will give you a boost in performance. And upgrading to Monitor 5's will give you some added low end and control over the mini's. The 1803 will have plenty of power for all your speakers, especially in small room setups. If you want all your inputs to go through the reciever you'll just have to get the 3803 though, no getting around that.