Hard to believe...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnBinuchi, Nov 13, 2004.

1. JohnBinuchi

JohnBinuchi Auditioning

O.K.,
    What gives? I was under the impression that the "newer" plasmas had a life expectency of 60,000 hours (8 hours/day for 20 years...)? From what I'm reading this ain't so. What a Binuch! I was all set to plunck down $6,000...I'm not brain-dead (nor blind...)plasmas look better to me than anything out there...Am I missing something? I've seen some LCDs that look pretty decent, but..? Maybe a few of you could point me in the "right" direction? Give me a couple of displays to look at...
    42" to 60". I would like to connect my pc to the display and have a lot of flexiblity with formats...I would like to be able to use it every day, as in, "the family T.V.", am I asking too much to want my investment to last? Are we back to..."after a couple of years your plasma will begin to fade..."? I guess CRT is the way to go? What it's beginning to look like is that we'll all have a T.V. for everyday viewing and a "big screen" for DVD's...I know this must be a redundant question, so thanks for bearing with me.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I don't know where you got the info, but today's plasmas do have a life expectancy of 60,000 hours 'til half brightness, and let's face it....in less than 10 years, you'll be onto the next latest and greatest technology.
    I don't see your problem.
    Vb

3. JohnBinuchi

JohnBinuchi Auditioning

SimiA,
    Actually the info I got I read here in these forums, believe me, nobody wants their investment to last more than I do...so basically you're saying that I can expect 10 years of veiwing (8 hours/day) before I notice any fading? 30,000 hours is a more realistic expectation? I appreciate your input. Do you, or anybody else have any suggestions/experiences as to which plasmas are decent? I know, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", but at least I'll be able to go out and look at any recommandations for myself. Thanks...

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

How about another take?

Four years, 9 hours/day. ~13,000 hours. Running video. Pioneer plasma screen is, in my humble opinion, ready for the breakers.

1.5 years, 9 hours/day. ~4900 hours. Running PC displays (fairly static.) Panasonic plasma screen is, in everyone's opinion, shot.

Manufacturers and Salespeople claims: 60,000 hours.

Any of them want to refund 66% or 80% of the purchase costs of these units?

Quick edit caveot: these are screens manufactered in 2000.

Leo Kerr

5. JohnBinuchi

JohnBinuchi Auditioning

Leo,
    Thanks for the input...bummer! Sorry to hear that the plasma didn't live up to it's claims, this is why I posted these questions. I don't know what to do at this point, I guess I'll have to buy a plasma with a great warranty from a reputable dealer. Do you have any suggestions as to what manufactors are producing decent plasmas that won't kill my wallet? Also, how does one determine that in fact the plasma is fading for warranty purposes, I don't think they'll just take your word for it. I'd imagine you'd have to take it to an authorized dealer/repair center for evaluation correct? Frustrated...maybe I could just take it to the gas station and get it refilled with high octane? LOL, seriously though, $6,000 is alot of money to spend only to have a plasma last for a few years. I would have thought by now that the technology would have matured alot further then it has or seems. Leo, did you get your plasma fixed/replaced, and if so how much did it cost you to have it fixed( if this is even possible)?

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Panasonic and Fujitsu are 2 of the best sets out there.
    NEC and Pioneer are also well regarded.
    60,000 hours is the claim on the new sets. I don't believe the sets in 2000 were rated that long.
    I don't know any one who runs their set 8 or more hours a day. Even a CRT would be hurting if run that long, and if you run a static image on any set for hours on end, you'll pretty much beat the crap out of it.
    Vb

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Um.. we've got a lot of Sony CRTs with over 20,000 hours on them that still look good... PVM 14, PVM 20, PVM 25, and PVM 29s. And we're pissed with Sony that they're discontinuing the PVM line. (We can't afford the BDM line..)

Pioneer, Fujitsu, NEC, and Pioneer all are great screens. They just may not hold up under your conditions as well as you might hope.

For us, I don't know how the brighness is really holding up; we get terrible screen burn, and we've also got failing pixels. Really. And, of course, the manufacturers have (a) short warrantees, and (b) obsolve themselves of 'screen abuse' related damage.

I would strongly recommend you reconsider the LCD displays.. I haven't heard of them 'burning,' and most of the newer displays have some provision for the back-light to be replaced... maybe not by the user, but at least it, in theory, can be done.

Also, some of the very high speed single-chip DLP rear-projectors look surprisingly good... I don't know how it'd work for a PC monitor; I'd think most any of these would be too low-resolution for 'up close' type work, but if you're doing DOOM XXVIII or something like that... [​IMG]

SimiA, I know I come across as anti-plasma; it's just people here at work keep requiring them, and then are shocked when they find they need to replace them! They really don't want to pay for that, and expect our little group to cover the cost..

Leo Kerr

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Almost all higher end LCD screens can have their backlight replaced, true, but at a cost equal or greater than a brand new replacement panel.

9. JohnBinuchi

JohnBinuchi Auditioning

So Then....
    What it's starting to sound like is this...you better make sure your investment is right to start with, it seems that there isn't a lot of companies standing behind their product? 60,000 hours really means 30,000 and don't even mention repairing a deminished display, you might as well buy a new one. Hmmm...

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

11. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

12. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

That's a valuable caveat. That means the Panasonic plasma of which you speak must be the 3UY or earlier. I believe Panasonic plasma life-spans increased to estimated 30,000 hours to half-life by the fourth generation (4UY). Again, look at the chart posted by someone here. Plasma life-span is clearly proceeding by leaps and bounds between generations.

All the major manufacturers have made specific announcements claiming 60,000 for their latest models (Samsung/Panasonic/Fujutsu/Sony/Pioneer-NEC/LG).

It's good that you have added your experience, for sure. But all my other research suggests it could be misleading for someone wondering about buying a current generation plasma.

Thanks,

Rich.

13. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

It is my sincerest hope that plasmas continue to improve their lifespan and burn resistance.

Much of our complaints aren't actually 'light intensity' complaints, but phosphor burn issues. And, as I noted above, we're abusing some of the screens badly. The 4U screens replacing the 3U screens in our burn-zone are showing some burn, but we're also running the 'restoration program' on a daily basis, too, and, for what it's worth, these do seem to be holding up better than thr 3Us without the protection program.

I have tried to provide useful information as to the actual conditions we subject the screens to, and do not deny that even in our 'good' situations, we're still pretty brutal to our screens.

Leo Kerr

14. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Thanks again for the info Leo.

15. JohnBinuchi

JohnBinuchi Auditioning

Thanks for the great input everyone, even though I live near Philadelphia it's hard to find places to view all of the mentioned manufactures wares...