What's new

HARD TIMES IN WIDESCREEN ? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Is this movie available or any info. on when this title starring Charles Bronson will be released in widescreen ? I don't want to view it in the pan and scan version .

Any info. appreciated .

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Hard Times was a victim of Sony's rerelease pan and scan wave a couple years ago, when they took many of their dual-sided discs (widescreen on one, pan and scan on the other) and reissued them as pan and scan only,

Try eBay

T r o y

Supporting Actor
andrew,
dvdplanet.com has this title and it mentions "enhanced for 16x9" televisions. i wonder if this version is the one that includes both versions on the same disc? if so, i'll buy.
Hard Times
http://www.dvdplanet.com/details.cfm?info=03063DVD

In Stock - Ships in 24 Hours

Retail: $14.95
Our Price: $9.95
Save $5.00!

Enhanced for 16x9 Rating: PG (MPAA)
94 minutes; Color Language:
Original: English
Subtitled: English
Closed Captioned: English
Subtitled: Korean
Dubbed: Portuguese
Subtitled: Portuguese - Spanish - Thai - Chinese

Studio: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
UPC: 043396030633

Year of Release: 1975
Item Number: COL003063
Release Date: 04/06/1999

Genre:
- Action/Adventure -
Keyword:
- Action - Adventure - Drama - Classic Fight Scenes - Theatrical Release -

Review(s):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Writer-director Hill's first feature is a picturesque action film about a bareknuckle streetfighter (Bronson) who drifts into Depression-era New Orleans and hooks up with a small-time gambler. The gambler takes over the boxer's career, arranging illegal fights and involving him in a scheme to fleece some gangsters. Hill's eye for atmosphere combined with Bronson's best tough-guy role makes for a winning combination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Information:

DVD Features:

Region 1

Keep Case

Full Frame - 1.33

Additional Release Material:

Trailers - 1. Original Theatrical Trailer.

Interactive Features:

Interactive Menus

Scene Selections

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Don't bother. I'm sure they only have the P&S version and have just not updated their website. The reissues contain the same UPC code as the earlier flipper discs. Any merchant selling new copies at this point most likely has the current P&S only version. You'll just end up having to return it.

As Andrew said, try ebay or Amazon marketplace and look for a used one. Ask the seller in advance to confirm that the disc has both versions as most sellers would not have a clue when they listed it that there were two releases of this. You'll have to wade through a ton of mass-market sellers with generic listings, but you may get lucky and find a seller who actually has it. I found a HARD TIMES this way and got it for $5 in perfect shape. Good luck!

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

Sony recently reissued the anamorphic widescreen version of BITE THE BULLET (in a dual release with THE QUICK AND THE DEAD), which had been withdrawn years earlier in favor of the budget P/S edition. This shows that this Sony policy is not irreversible, although HARD TIMES itself has yet to be reissued in widescreen.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
"Hard Times" qualified for the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart about two years ago, and I think the occasional copy can still be found there. I've seen "Hard Times" and "Bite the Bullet" in the bin in P&S and widescreen versions, but you've really got to dig deep (almost literally) to find the widescreen copies.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
how can you tell a flipper version of Hard Times by looking at the back cover ? Any difference between the dual version and just the full screen version ?

thanks
troy.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Dan McW,

Can you tell me how I can differentiate the back cover between the widescreen version and the full screen only versions of HARD TIMES ?

I've looked at ebay and Amazon with no luck, If anyone knows where I can purchase a widescreen copy of Hard Times , Please Please let me know.

Regards,
Troy .

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

The original Columbia flipper release indicates on the back cover in a small box that "Side A is the widescreen version. Side B is the full-frame version." or words to that effect. The reissue version simply states full-frame 1.33:1 on the back cover. Even though Sony didn't feel the need to change the UPC code on the two versions, at least they did adjust the tech info on the back cover.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
JeffMc,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. That helps alot. Now if i could just find a copy online somewhere I would be set.
I'm going to check three of my local Walmart discount bins and see if I can come up with one as well.

Peace !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks