Hard drive recording ability without monthly service fee?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DustinLC, Jan 6, 2004.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

I have two dvd recorders that has a harddrive to record tv shows. My brother wanted something like that wihtout the dvd recorders and he doesn't want one of those monthly service such as TIVO.

What's are his options?

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The only one I'd recommend with these conditions is the Toshiba combo DVD player/Tivo. It comes with a basic, stripped down version of the Tivo service, no monthly fee. It also has a free trial of the full software version; you can upgrade for a one-time fee of $299.

But if he already has a DVD player, and decides to upgrade to full service, it's cheaper to just get a standalone Tivo +lifetime service. For some reason a lot of people think the service isn't useful; I don't understand them. Most change their minds after actually using it for awhile.

Also, depending on where he lives, his cable provider may soon offer a DVR for just a monthly fee. Yes, that's not what he wanted, but there is no upfront cost other than installation so that cancels out the monthly charge to some extent.

3. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

He just have regular cable. His condo doesn't allow any sort of SAT so he's stuck with just regular cable.

There are so many recorders out there that I thought surely they would just have a simply recorder that you just use to record as is, no monthly service, no contract, no marketing calls from them, ect. Just a simple HDD recorder that you can attach a cable line to and record.

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Dustin:

Your above quote states the exact purpose of the stand-alone TiVo with the lifetime subscription. I've had this since day one & have never gotten a call or otherwise from TiVo Inc (except the occasional on-screen email promotions). I think I got my lifetime sub for $199, but it does cost more now. Just be aware that a lifetime sub means "lifetime of your TiVo box" not your lifetime. If the box dies for whatever reason, or you choose to upgrade to a new TiVo box, you're SOL on the lifetime subscription.

Really ... save up & do it ... this is the way to go if you truly want to enjoy the benefits of a PVR. I don't know of a single person that has lived with the TiVo full service for 2 weeks, then later dropped it for $$$ reasons.

Scott

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

No you aren't. If it dies, if you get it fixed/replaced through an authorized repair facility they will transfer the sub. Also many common failures can be handled yourself (hard drive, modem)

And if you upgrade, you can recoup most of the sub by selling the old one, as the sub transfers with the unit.

6. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Stephen .... Great points, you're right of course.

In fact, my 1st unit, a Sony SVR2000, had a modem failure ... I pulled the board, sent it out and it was fixed in a week for $30.

Also, last year, TiVo offerred an short-lived one-time deal ... upgrade to TiVo Series2 unit and keep your lifetime sub. I jumped on that one for a "fresh" unit, double the harddrive, and latest features. What a deal!

[​IMG]
    ... Part of our family since 2001

7. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Don't most of the DVD recorders include timers and NTSC tuners? That would allow recording of broadcast (non-ATSC) TV and time-shifting.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

(The following was written in response to a question from Iver that he has now deleted and replaced with another.)

I think the options have already been covered:
    1. DVD recorder with hard disk
    2. DVD player with TiVo basic service[/list=1]
      AFAIK, no one offers just a hard disk in a box for recording and playback (unless you're talking about some sort of PC setup).

M.

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The real question is how much you are willing to pay. I don't think anyone really wants "no Tivo" or no guide service, just they think it's too expensive. What's your price range?

There is the RCA DVD/PVR machine & the Toshiba DVD/PVR with included Tivo basic service. Probably can get the latter for ~$350-380. But a series 2 standalone Tivo with full Tivo service is running for $450 total, nothing more to pay ever. And if you are willing to switch to satellite a DirecTivo is only $100 + $5/month.

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If you are going to completely change your post you might as well just make a new one ...

Yes, DVD recorders can do that. But it's a major pain to program and keep track of which recording is which when the goal is to basically record everything you ever would want to watch on TV, thus achieving your own personal near-video-on-demand library. A guide makes this 1000x easier.

11. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone make a dvr hard disc recorder that doesn't require a monthly service? I really hate the idea of having to shell out $12.99 a month. It seems every box you buy these days requieres a service. It's not that it's expensive it's that when you amass alot of these it does add up.

12. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I don't pay anything for my DirecTivo. I just subscribe to Total Choice Premier (and locals and the sports package and the HD package) and they waive the $5 fee.

If they didn't waive the fee or even raised it, I would still pay. The DirecTivo is that good.

-Robert

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I've merged this thread with the existing thread on the topic.

M.

14. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

I'm not from the States,so I'm not sure how this works with your broadcasting etc over there, but I have a Strong PVR / digital decoder that is not subscribed to anything - we don't have Tivo or anything equivalant as yet. I can record whatever I want on it from free-to-air, just like a VCR, but onto an 80g hdd, rather than a tape. It time shifts as well. If I'm not way off the track, let me know and I'll give you some more info. [​IMG]