Hard drive options...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'm thinking of getting a bigger hard drive sooner or later, my 4gig is starting to get full, I mean Civ 3 was a 700MB install just by itself and I'm expecting Return to Castle Wolfenstein for Xmas so I am thinking of getting a larger hard drive and I have a couple questions about the latest technology with IDE drives versus SCSI drives. I have an old Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adaptor hooked up to 3 SCSI devices, a Seagate Barracude 4gig SCSI drive and 2 SCSI CD drives (A Plextor Ultraplex and an HP 9200i CD-RW). What do you think I should do,

1)buy a new Ultra or Ultra-wide SCSI drive to replace the 4-5year old Barracuda, copy the contents to the new drive, use the old drive as extra/backup.

2)Buy a new SCSI drive and use that as extra storage

3)Buy a new IDE drive presumable the newest ones are just as fast as SCSI or is that still not true?

4)Buy a newer SCSI card (I presume there must be), is this worth it or is a 2940UW still good? and a new SCSI drive..

I'm kind of leaning towards #1 or #2 but just curious...

Jay

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

A new, big SCSI drive will probably give better performance (and staying all-SCSI has value in itself, IMHO) but you will get more storage space for the buck with IDE. The newer ATA100 drives with 7200 rpm speeds are also quite speedy.
    All in all though I would probably get a new, big and shiny [​IMG] SCSI drive and use that as your boot drive. Chances are it will be faster than your existing drive, and you can then use the old drive to store less important stuff that is not dependent on hard drive speed.
    Not sure if you should upgrade the SCSI card too. The 2940 is a good card but perhaps the newer ones will give even better performance.

3. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I have the 2940 along with an IDE interface ATA/66. Frankly, the value of SCSI for my applications (mundane home use) has become obscure. I really don't think I need it for what I do.
    From what I've read, the bandwidth for the SCSI cards are a little deceptive in that the specification is for the total bandwidth available. Plus, when daisy chaining several SCSI devices with differing standards (Ultra+U2W+&c.), the SCSI card default to the slowest.
    From what I've read here, IDE doesn't have this problem. You can keep ATA/33 /66 and /100 devices on the same interface with no compromise to the speed of the individual device.
    But I may not have understood the explanations that I've read, so take what I've written with a grain of salt. I'm eager to hear corrections where I have made mistakes. [​IMG]

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks for the replies so far, anybody know who makes the best value in SCSI drives, i.e. something that's fairly fast and fairly inexpensive? I have my seagate Barracuda and it's nice, I actually didn't buy the SCSI card or drive, I was kind of given them OEM from a computer installer that my father knew but I hear good things about them. Newegg only carries IBM scsi drives, they seem fairly cheap, but they seem to have slower access times (by an order of almost 1 sec) to the Barracudas I saw at mwave.com.

If the SCSI bus is limited to the slowest link, then I'll almost certainly just replace the old drive and use the fastest one, as long as it's not limited by my old 2940UW.

Jay

5. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Sam, the IDE controller will default to slowest ATA value when multiple HDDs are on a single cable; spin speeds will not be affected (i.e. each HDD will still spin at, say, 5400 rpm).

Jay, I have the 2940UW also and use it to control 2 IBM 9G drives. Personally, I would go the 'bang-for-the-buck' route and buy a 60GXP IBM 40GB ATA100 7200 rpm drive from Newegg for $93+shipping and call it a day. Plenty of space, low noise and it's relatively cheap.

6. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I have a IBM Deskstar 7200 40 that is real nice and www.newegg.com sells them for only $99

7. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

Hard Drive - I just bought a Western Digital 100GB 7200 drive at Sams Club for $219 and it has a $100 rebate. Not a bad total of $120 for 100GB Drive.

I think the difference between SCSI and IDE is not as big as it used to be and that a 7200 speed IDE drive is plenty fast enough for almost any applications. IMO

Good luck,

Glenn

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Unless I was using the HDs in heavy demand file access servers, I would save my money and go with the 7200rpm IDE HDs.

9. Mark_Keller

Mark_Keller Auditioning

Well,
    For what its worth, I'd go with option #1. I was in similar shoes a while ago. (needing more space and all SCSI) I bought an IBM UDMA100 drive after I got a new mobo. Its fast, but still not good at multithreading and I have since dumped it into a server and returned to all SCSI.
    As for the controller vs drive debate -- I vote drive. I have a 2940UW, a 2940U2W, and a U2 raid controller and while there is some difference between them the drives are by far the bigger factor. Its just me, but in your shoes I'd get a 9Gb/18Gb 10,000 rpm scsi drive for the OS drive and then use your old drive for data storage. I like the seagate cheetahs, the Quantum 10kII's and III's and some of the IBM Ultrastars. Shop around and you can get them cheap (for Scsi - we still aren't talking IDE cheap.) Example: 36Gb 10krpm Cheetah
    It depends on your needs I guess. IDE is cheaper and pretty quick. If you need a TON of space it gets expensive quick with SCSI. On the other hand, I scsi is REALLY nice one you get used to it. YMMV, but good luck-
    Mark
    ~~ [​IMG]
    (Edit to fix link)

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer