What's new

Hard Drive opinion? (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
I have two machines, one running with a Western Digital 60gb and one with an 80gb. The 80gb is about a year or two old with the 60gb being a few years old. I am running Windows 2000 pro on both machines. 60gb machine is a P2 350MHZ.

I find lately even after a clean install of windows that the 60gb hardrive shuts down momentarily and makes a click, like the arm for reading and writing smacks one side. The hardrive then starts spinning again and works fine. This does not affect PC performance but I am concerned about hardrive failure.

Another problem is when the machine boots after a restart it says in bios that hardrive diagnoses fails, I then shutdown machine completely and turn back on and machine finds it with no problem.

I have no problem with the 80gb but concerned about the future. I just bought two 160gb Western digital HD and am considering some other brand. Is WD just not up to what there were used to? I have heard people having lots of problems with WD hard drive especially those editing.

What brands do you recommend? Or should I stick with Western digital because this is what happens after a few years?

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I don't own a WD HD, but for editing, you don't need anything special besides a 7200 RPM drive that is NTFS formatted. (Edit: You can edit problem free with FAT32; if you ever plan taking your footage over to a Mac, its OS can write FAT32 -- it can read a NTFS drive, but not write to it).

Look into Maxtor. You can buy them just about anywhere.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have used both wd and maxtor. i find them to be pretty much equivalent in terms of performance, speed, and reliability. i've used them both for video editing as well.

i'd say it's more important to make sure you have a nice buffer cache (8mb) since that has more impact in speed. i definitely noticed a slow-down when i temporarily went to a 2mb hd.

btw, not sure what you're going to use to backup your hd, but i used norton ghost with 100% success. worth every penny! check out my thread on this.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think it's Seagate that offers a 5 year warranty on their current HD offerings, while the other manufacturers only offer 1 year warranties on their HDs.

I tend to gravitate towards Maxtors (especially in my ReplayTVs because at the time, the Maxtor acoustic management made the HDs whisper quiet, and that was important for my TV viewing). Currently, I have a mix of Maxtor, WD and Seagate in my PC, and they all seem to be going good... *knock wood*

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you so much seth,

That night I backup my data and the next reboot the hardrive failed completely and is out of commission.

I took out my 160gb hardrive and popped it in and reloaded windows.

Only I have one small problem.... Windows only sees my drive for 127gb capacity, I have heard you have to update something with windows or Bios. Any ideas?

Windows 2000
ASUS P2B
1013 beta bios
350mhz

Thank you

Jonathon

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Jonathon,

I had the same problem on the HD in my laptop this past summer. Clicking started, and I took the attitude, "I'll first finish writing and reading a few things, then I'll backup." A few hours later I rebooted to finally do the backup, but my computer never booted back up. Luckily I had a fairly recent backup.

Yeah, that could be a Bios limitation or BIOS capacity issue. See if this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks