What's new

Hard drive on end - turned 90 degrees (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I put my 80 gig HDD into a new case and now it is on its end (before it was doing the horizontal).

I know that I'm supposed to reformat it because the read heads have a different angle now, but should I remove the partitions too?

No big deal either way, but it has been years, nay, decades since I have run across this for myself, and the word partition had another meaning back then. :)

Glenn

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I had a 120gb Maxtor fail on me after putting it on its side for several weeks, after over a year of it staying horizontally. Coincidentally a 40gb Seagate that was in the same cage still works to this day.

Just some feedback to chew on but personally all I buy now are Seagates and leave em horizontal.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I've got a WD - but I really don't think that's going to help. You didn't mention if they were re-formatted after you turned them on end, but I'm thinking not.

It is almost amazing that something that small can get so scerwed up just by turning it, but I've witnessed how bad they can get too.

But would the partitions get messed up? We're only talking about a few bits used as markers. It isn't like it's a financial statement. I should try just formatting my partitions and see what happens.

Glenn

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
As long as the drive is at right angles it will perform just fine. It's when they are at a slant that throws off the write/read head and shortens the life. I believe they have a threshhold of 15 degrees but I'm sure that varies from manufacture to manufacture.

As for partitioning, formating it couldn't hurt but it probably isn't a requirement. The reading/writing heads will still be at the exact same angle as before whether the drive is horizontal, vertical or upside down.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit

Right angles to what? Are you saying that as long as it is (nearly) horizontal OR vertical, it will be fine?

This is the first time I've heard of this issue. I've crammed an old HD into a newer case just to use as a backup for word files. It didn't fit very well, but I've managed to turn it on its side and find a way to get it in there. Am I risking ruining it?

I'm not really concerned, just curious. I wouldn't do this with a new HD or even my primary one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks