Hard disc recorder without buying a service

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald K, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Ronald K

Ronald K Auditioning

Hi,

Does anyone manufacture a personal data recorder that can be used like a VCR, perhaps with VCR+ codes? I don't want to have a monthly service agreement but would like the ability to record on a hard disc and have the other benefits of a personal data recorder

Thanks

Ron

2. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Hi Ronald,

Well if you don't pay for the TiVo service, it will record, however it will not know what it's really recording. It will be more like a VCR and just recording anything you manually select to record.

You can always try out the service, and if you don't like it, not re-up. But it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so I think it's definitely worth the $$$.

Also, another option is to buy a used TiVo with a lifetime subscription from eBay. Then you'd have the full service and no monthly fees. Or you can always buy the lifetime service for an additional $249 on your new TiVo as well.

The choice is yours.

3. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

Ronald,
    The Panasonic ShowStopper (Replay TV) is a hard disk recorder very much like Tivo but w/o the monthly service fee. They are currently discontinuing them, I just bought the last 2 at my local Best Buy, so find them may be a challenge but I know Sears carries them as well. They are on clearance @ Sears for $399-$100 rebate, that includes a "life-time program guide" for no monthly fee. I've seen posts about auctions on eBay and Ubid for them as well.
    For a ton of info on them look here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=27