Hard Day's Night looks 185:1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan W, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

I've searched the various threads on A Hard Day's Night and no one appears to be challenging the claim that this film is being presented by Miramax in 166:1. On my television, it is clearly cropped further than the slight amount you get with 166:1. It is much closer to 178:1, if not 185:1.

I don't have any problem with the picture as it is, but it is clearly not presented in 166:1.

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Typical phoney "1.66:1 anamorphic" lies from a distributor. Most 1.66:1/16x9 transfers are, in actuality, between 1.78 and 1.85:1. The new Horror Of Dracula DVD is approximately 1.78:1 anamorphic. It is a 1.37:1/1.66:1 open-matte negative, but, for the most part, the 1.78:1 framing is superb - only lanky Lee at 6' 4" gave the telecineste a bit of trouble, but it looks fab. [​IMG] Unlike some of the scenes in Hard Day's. Not to worry though. Still a spiffingly good transfer! [​IMG]
    Mr Kite

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    It may be cropped, but remember, many times, an anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer may look like 1.78:1 because of overscan.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jonathan and Gordon: A Hard Day's night IS a 1.66 anamorphic transfer - viewing it on a PC DVD player shows vertical bars on the left and right side. The PowerDVD software puts up a 1.78 frame, so anything OTHER than a 1.78 transfer will show bars on either the top & bottom or left & right.

No worries, it's 1.66

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

People really need to face up to the reality of overscan...

I can't believe that the Malata (& Panasonic RP-91????) are the only DVD players that allow you to zoom out and counteract overscan. This should really become a standard feature of DVD players. I have seen too many posts accusing Criterion at al. of not having true 1.66:1 transfers, all because of overscan.

Ted

6. Michael St. Clair

Scaling in the player to correct overscan reduces resolution and creates (subtle) artifacts. Far better to fix your set.

But even if you are at just 5% or less, you are probably seeing a better framing than was in 95% of the theaters, so relax!

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

9. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

How do you correct overscan to 0% on certain DVD players? Is it via the option screens? I have always thought that transfers should have borders at the sides to prevent loss of picture when the TV overscans.
    There's that shot in 2001 on the Moon Base where the spherical spacecraft is lowered into the stunning. vast underground area and there are those matted-in screens on the left of the frame - there are 3 of them, but most TVs overscan away 1 all of one screen and half of another - it looks awful and has always bothered me. I can see the full framing on my PC, but I want to see it on by tube, dammit! [​IMG]
    Gord