Happy with your Showstopper PVR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm comtemplating a Panasonic Showstopper PVR purchase. I'd rather go used with a "lifetime" ReplayTV subscription route instead of monthly fees.

I've read that the Showstoppers can suffer from heat build-up (I'd work on cooling it with CPU fans, and maybe even drill some holes through the easy-bake metal cover of the PVR), but are there any other major drawbacks with this model? I'd be using it with with basic analog cable TV feed.

2. Ross_Hartnett

Ross_Hartnett Auditioning

I had one that I recently sold to upgrade to the 5040... I like the 5040 more (you can also buy a lifetime subscription for the new ones, it's $250 a year) but I would definitely recommend a SS. I wouldn't worry too much about heat build up, I upgraded mine with a 7200 rpm drive and had no problems (well, I had one lockup once but it was 103 degrees outside and my little AC couldn't keep up [​IMG]). An easy way to deal with the heat is to get a laptop cooling fan, just throw it on top of the SS and turn it on when you're using it for an extended amount of time.

3. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I bought a Showstopper two years ago and upgraded it with a bigger hard drive. I'm still using it and it's still working great.
    [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. Currently my house is a cozy 68 degrees F during the winter. [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I got a second Panasonic Showstopper 2000 off Ebay for around $200 delivered (it was crap-shoot returned item that a liquidator offers for auction). The main attraction for these older units is that they don't need the subscription activation, it's all paid for in its initial price.
    Anyhow, it showed up yesterday. It had the most basic version of the software, so I had some issues getting it to call the place to get channel guide info and updates for it. But I got it to work (by populating the dialing prefix with a local Earthlink access number via trial-n-error to find one that works), and it did some recording for me. I wanted to make sure it did the basic functions before I upgraded the hard drive for more recording capacity.
    Then last night I upgraded it from its normal 30GB hard drive to a newer, faster 100GB hard drive (7200rpm, 8MB cache). It was a little hairy using the Replay drive image/RTVPatch program, but with a lot of luck, I got the new hard drive prepared correctly, and once I swapped out the old hard for the new one, rebooted, and the new Replay image had the newer contact numbers for dialing into the channel guide service, and I was in business. Woo hoo!
    This was a good place for mucking with ReplayTVs.
    Now I have 2 of these Showstopper 2000, and can't imagine life without them in terms of watching TV shows.