Tree of Life
Paper Moon
Big Lebowski
The Color of Pomegranates

and those are probably all wrong

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit
I’d imagine that they’ll package The Tree of Life with the two versions of Voyage of Time, which will make it an absolute must-buy.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
some ideas from the other site,

Bowling for Columbine
the dog is the same dog used in The Thin Man and The Awful Truth
Virgin Diaries
L shaped armor- El Cid? oh how i would love for that to be so
M- Vice

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
from "the other forum", these all seem like the smartest guesses to me

Awful Truth (dog with hat)
Bowling for Columbine (bowling ball about to crash into ten bullet pins)
Bringing up Baby / Thin Man (skeleton "Mr Bone" / a thin man - next to Skippy the dog)
Color of Pomegranates (the two pomegranates)
Graduation + Beyond the Hills (the mortarboards being tossed off in the distance)
Ingmar Bergman films (moon + woman with Swedish flag) - probably a box or just a ton of Bergman coming in 2018
Other Side of Hope (backwards HOPE sign)
Scarlet Empress (red M in the press/vice)
Tree of Life (tree)
Virgin Suicides (the Extra Virgin Olive Oil bottles doing an annoying running exercise)
El Sur ("L" Knight)

truck + river are a bunch of non-clues dealing with Filmstruck:
(streaming on Filmstruck):
Double feature Friday
Tuesday film + short film
Meat the Filmmakers
Every Frame a Painting / Observations in Film Art
Moo-V

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
the dog is the same dog used in The Thin Man and The Awful Truth
I don't think so. with the record there, I'm thinking it is Nipper, the RCA dog. "His Master's Voice".
However, I have no idea what movie that is for.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh, that's a hat and not a record near the dog?
I'm really no good at these! LOL

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
El Sur ("L" Knight)

If Criterion is considering releasing EL SUR, I would hope they'd also be giving us an upgrade of director Victor Erice's SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE, one of many titles Criterion released on DVD that hasn't made the leap to HD. Maybe a three-title box set, also including THE QUINCE TREE SUN and perhaps his short films. He was not a prolific filmmaker, but his work generates a powerful and imaginative force.

And that guess about BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE may be correct. It was Michael Moore's only Best Documentary Oscar-winner, in 2003. As of now, only two of his films, ROGER AND ME and WHERE TO INVADE NEXT, are on Blu-ray. Maybe this could be the third...?

I suppose PAPER MOON is a possibility, as it has been released by Eureka! in the U.K., which is considered a British counterpart of Criterion, except that I don't believe Paramount and Criterion are buddying much these days.

TREE OF LIFE, yeah, maybe, although I can't see that much could be gained in the wake of the perfectly fine 20th Century-Fox Blu-ray. And since when has Criterion given us a Fox title?

THE OTHER SIDE OF HOPE...dead on, and probably the most accessible clue here. That damn river flowing out of the "movie van" bugs me, though...it takes up a lot of space on this cartoon and thus must be thought of as highly significant by Criterion, I would think.

The dog with the record doesn't resemble the RCA dog in either appearance or in pose. That and the skeleton baffle me.

Last edited:

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
That damn river flowing out of the "movie van" bugs me, though...it takes up a lot of space on this cartoon and thus must be thought of as highly significant by Criterion, I would think.

It's not a "movie van", it's a FILMS-TRUCK. Get it? That's why all the clues coming out of it are for Filmstruck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks