What's new

Happy Gilmore: Was it filmed in 1.33:1? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Actually Jason, it's open matte, but I know what you mean, shit is shit no matter what color it is right?
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Actually John, it is pan and scan. :)
It would only be open matte if the DVD transfer utilized the entire filmed negative, which is never done on full frame transfers. Each and every shot is reframed and rescaled to remove boom mikes, stedicam camera flaps, dolly tracks, etc, that are outside the 1.85:1 safe zone, which you never see theatrically if matted correctly. So basically, everything is reframed, so you'll see some additional headroom or footroom here and there but mostly the image is zoomed in to remove photography artifacts.
There are exceptions, most notably Kubrick's full frame transfers on The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut that had its original cinematography framed 1.37:1 in the camera.
Think of that Super 35 video demonstration on the T2: Ultimate Edition disc but pretend it is for 1.85:1 theatrical rather than 2.40:1 Super 35.
Regards,
Jason
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World
My Own Film Review Website Coming Soon!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jason, yes but their is no panning and scanning in the film, the mattes are removed and they occasionally zoom in to hide boom mikes and such, I mean to qualify as being pan and scan, some actual panning must take place, I mean it's part of the term.
------------------

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Anything where the image is altered from its original compositions falls under the descriptive term of "Pan and Scan," (I just call it that when I discuss it with people) but you're right, I think we should drop that term and call it what it really is: incorrect. :) (It's going to be hard, mind you, considering how little people listen to me on this forum when I tell them anamorphic theatrical is 2.40:1, not 2.35:1. :))
I've seen the full frame transfer of Happy Gilmore (years ago on VHS) and remember the entire film being reframed in such a way, not just to remove artifacts but for compositional purposes. There's a LOT of dead space outside that 1.85:1 safe zone.
Btw, this is my favorite Adam Sandler film, and the only one of his I've liked. If a remastered DVD surfaced, I'd pick it up for sure.
Jason
------------------
Link Removed
"After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree completly. Someone came up with a great new term for this, MAR, Modified Aspect Ratio. Great term, I think it should be officially adopted by the studios.
------------------

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
MAR. "Oh this transfer is MARred." I like that. :) You and I have started something cool, John. tee hee!
Here's a diagram I scanned a few years back in regards to how 1.85:1 matting works in cinemas:
Wide3.jpg

Jas-Scope
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Jason_Whyte on September 22, 2001 at 03:39 AM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, knew that, I was just speaking practically. :)
Unfortunatly it's true what you said, it's up to the pimplefaced, gum smackin, rap lovin, baggy pants wearin, backwards baseball cap wearin, minimum wage makin kid in the projection booth to frame the films properly, and they screw it up alot of the time.
frown.gif

------------------
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 22, 2001 at 03:35 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 22, 2001 at 03:39 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 22, 2001 at 03:42 AM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Happy Gilmore is great.
I have the region 2 DVD and that is 1:85:1 WIDESCREEN.
" I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast "
- shooter McGavin
" You eat pieces of shit for breakfast ? "
- Happy Gilmore
" No! "
- shooter McGavin
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Unfortunatly it's true what you said, it's up to the pimplefaced, gum smackin, rap lovin, baggy pants wearin, backwards baseball cap wearin, minimum wage makin kid in the projection booth to frame the films properly, and they screw it up alot of the time.
Is this a THX certification standard for a projectionist?
Deane

Andre F

Screenwriter
Happy Gilmore is one of my favorite movie of all time. :)
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks