Happy Gilmore, Tommy Boy, Billy Madison & Black Sheep

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brad M, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

I almost lump all these movies together so I just made one big thread.

I noticed that "Black Sheep" is coming out on July 16th. I love this movie and am not afraid to say it. If anyone has any info. as to what is on the disc and if it is in OAR please pass it along.

I was watching "Billy Madison" on tv a few days ago and noticed that they had added in some cut scenes. Are these on the dvd? Also I'd love to hear your opinions/reviews of Tommy Boy & Happy Gilmore.

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Tommy Boy - solid video/audio (anamorphic, 5.1) with just a trailer
    Happy Gilmore - P&S only, 5.1, with production notes and a trailer (in need of a full-blown SE in widescreen!)
    Billy Madison - I don't own yet, but it's anamorphic/5.1 with a few trailers. It doesn't have the Kickball scene that airs in the USA television version.

and Black Sheep will be an OAR/5.1 Paramount DVD coming soon, with at most a trailer. SRP is only $24.99. If it's like Tommy Boy, then it won't disappoint in terms of audio/video.

3. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

Thanks LukeB. Happy Gilmore is P&S? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Glenn, I agree. $24.99 is less than $29.99, but I'd definitely prefer if Paramount gave us MGM-type prices. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

Happy gilmore is actually open matte. Its still not OAR, but at least you don't miss anything.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So is Blacksheep anamorphic?

8. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

What's hilarious is that my local Costco (and, I'm sure, every Costco in the chain) has copies of Happy Gilmore right now - the fullscreen version, you can see it plainly marked on the back of the DVD keepcase - in stock that are in a yellow cardboard sleeve, and the top of the sleeve says "Widescreen" plain as day.
    I informed the local supervisor of this, and sent an e-mail to corporate as well. Told them it pretty much amounted to false advertising, and they might want to throw a sticker over that, or just get a big black pen and mark through it. Understanding, of course, that it wasn't their fault: they received the product that way from Universal. But it's their customers who will be upset if they buy it on false pretenses.
    So what happened about this? A week later, and no change. [​IMG] Ah, well...I tried. It's not my problem.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Billy Madison is Anamorphic and Happy Gilmore is P & S only?

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

12. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I get frustrated whenver I see Gilmore in P&S only, since I want it in widescreen. Open matte or not, this movie is not getting the treatment it deserves.

13. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Well, with the recent reissue of Sea of Love, and the upcoming reissue of Babe - both old P&S only titles getting new 16x9 transfers - there's a glimmer of hope for a WS Happy Gilmore.