Happy Gilmore/ Billy Madison: NEW SE's ZOOMED?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_WM, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I know how a lot of people on this forum feel about IGN, but does anyone have any way of checking this out?

Problems With The Sandler Set
    Hey - I got hold of the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison 2-disc widescreen set a few days early STORE NAME REMOVED BY OWNER who put them on shelves several days before the due date.

I watched them tonight and noticed that the transfers are both 'zoomed in' and crop off significant parts of the screen. I compared the new remastered Billy Madison to the original Universal disc and sure enough, it's badly cropped.

I wanted to know if IGN editors have seen this yet and if you've heard from Universal on why such a piss-poor transfer was made.

-- Doug

I'm sure this letter will thrill Universal, both the early release and the video quality report. I have not seen the DVDs, having taken a pass on them since I had first-run DVDs to worry about. But if other readers have noticed this, please let me know and I will contact Universal.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Of course, "Doug" just might be talking about the proper matting of the top and bottom of the frame...

DJ

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Well that might apply to Happy Gilmore which may have been Open matte, but what about Billy Madison? That was in Widescreen before. I just want to make sure that this isn't Back to the Future all over again.

4. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I've also read this and wondered if it was true.

5. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Oh no, don't let this be true!!!! I've been anticipating this release for so long. If anyone can either confirm or deny this, I (as well as many others I'm sure) would greatly appreciate it.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I couldn't tell, but the discs look absolutely great. Everything seemed okay to me.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I didn't notice any problem with my set.

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I liked these movies enough to buy them, but am not a huge fan of them by any means, so I dont have vivid memories of what each scene should look like, but I watched both movies just the other day on my 16x9 screen and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. It's possible 1% of the edges are cut off compared to the original theatrical versions, but it wasn't anything that stood out to me. I am perfectly happy with this release.

9. Andy Patrizio

Andy Patrizio Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

10. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

Hey, I have both the old and new Billy Madison, and I can confirm the new Special Edition transfer is zoomed in and loses picture info from the first DVD. I will post screenshots after I get back from work.

11. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Those are very obviously two different frames, so the framing is impossible to compare unless that is a steady shot (and it's still not necessarily a fair comparison even if it is a still shot, as the framing may vary slightly).

DJ

13. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

It's a completely steady shot, thats why I picked it to do a screengrab with ease.