What's new

Happy Gilmore/ Billy Madison: NEW SE's ZOOMED? (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I know how a lot of people on this forum feel about IGN, but does anyone have any way of checking this out?

Problems With The Sandler Set
Hey - I got hold of the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison 2-disc widescreen set a few days early STORE NAME REMOVED BY OWNER who put them on shelves several days before the due date.

I watched them tonight and noticed that the transfers are both 'zoomed in' and crop off significant parts of the screen. I compared the new remastered Billy Madison to the original Universal disc and sure enough, it's badly cropped.

I wanted to know if IGN editors have seen this yet and if you've heard from Universal on why such a piss-poor transfer was made.

-- Doug

I'm sure this letter will thrill Universal, both the early release and the video quality report. I have not seen the DVDs, having taken a pass on them since I had first-run DVDs to worry about. But if other readers have noticed this, please let me know and I will contact Universal.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well that might apply to Happy Gilmore which may have been Open matte, but what about Billy Madison? That was in Widescreen before. I just want to make sure that this isn't Back to the Future all over again.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Oh no, don't let this be true!!!! I've been anticipating this release for so long. If anyone can either confirm or deny this, I (as well as many others I'm sure) would greatly appreciate it.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I liked these movies enough to buy them, but am not a huge fan of them by any means, so I dont have vivid memories of what each scene should look like, but I watched both movies just the other day on my 16x9 screen and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. It's possible 1% of the edges are cut off compared to the original theatrical versions, but it wasn't anything that stood out to me. I am perfectly happy with this release.

Pete T C

Second Unit
Hey, I have both the old and new Billy Madison, and I can confirm the new Special Edition transfer is zoomed in and loses picture info from the first DVD. I will post screenshots after I get back from work.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Those are very obviously two different frames, so the framing is impossible to compare unless that is a steady shot (and it's still not necessarily a fair comparison even if it is a still shot, as the framing may vary slightly).

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks