What's new

Happy Days Season 2? (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There were comments in a newspaper article indicating it was under consideration (maybe before the end of the year). This was a while back and as far as I know, nothing new has been said.

Real Name
Seth Thrasher
Sales figures for season 1 weren't too horribly bad, but from what I've come to understand (someone feel free to jump in if I'm mistaken), there are decent music clearance issues that Paramount would have to resolve (at least, I believe it was Happy Days). And they certainly don't want to *replace* music or edit scenes out.

Under consideration could mean a release announcement tomorrow, or it could mean five years from now, or never. Wouldn't advise holding your breath

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think Paramount should rip the band-aid off with a quick pull and just deal with season 2. seasons 3-11 combined do not have the same amount of music issues as s1 and s2 did, so while there might be a small loss for season 2, s3 through s7 should easily sell and have no problems and turn a profit (those were the Ron Howard years). s8-s11 won't sell as well as the Richie seasons but I think that there is a market who likes those episodes as well, think of the post-Radar seasons for MASH as comparison.

Maybe Paramount should suck season 2 up and have season 3 prepared for a release three months later. We'll see how sales will do. By not releasing season 2+, it's not helping season 1 sales from people who are "I wanna buy this, but only once I know more seasons are coming" types.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. It's doubtful that either Happy Days or Laverne & Shirley anytime soon since it's been quite some time since their release.

I've held off buying the first season of Happy Days until I see an announcement from Paramount for additional seasons.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

This could be one of the reasons we have yet to see a second season.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

maybe he's a "Fonzie Show" fan? I personally love the first two seasons of Happy Days, it felt very much like a precurser to Wonder Years and Freaks And Geeks, but the overwhelming majority don't love the show until it goes live in season 3 and Fonzie becomes a superhuman type character.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm a huge fan of Happy Days but there are a lot of fans who are concerned about buying shows when studios won't commit to releasing the series in its entirety. If I purchase the season 1 and the studio decides not to release the following seasons, there is no reason that I should buy the first season.

The problem is that there are a lot of potential fans who don't pick up shows and wait because there may be several other sets that fans may want to pick up first. This isn't to say that fans don't want to buy the shows but end up picking up other sets that may have a higher priority.

James@R

Second Unit

You could always purchase it, then return it. Or, does that cancel out the sale? (Any Best Buy employees here? :) )

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

So you are saying the answer to the problem is abusing the stores return policy?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
How about just selling it on eBay afterwards? Or appreciating the fact that you at least have 22 (or so) episodes of a favorite show rather than zero?

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

I was under the impression that you were saying to purchase the set simply for the sake of returning it, just to encourage further sets. Sorry, I misunderstood your post.:)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Why would I want to return it. The whole point of wanting to buy the series is to be able to collect the whole series but if they only release one season then why jump into the series?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Everyone has their opinion on this issue, whether or not to get S1 of a series before seeing further seasons released. I'm with the "buy S1" crowd. Even though I'm only one small "grain of sand on the TV/DVD-buying force beach" out there, I still want to add my purchase to the tally in the hopes that it helps a little in possibly getting additional sets released. Also, as Anthony said, I'll have S1 no matter what happens later. However, Mark also has a point about where a certain set may stand with a collector's buying priority list. Happy Days happened to be somewhat high on my list. I liked the early seasons of this series far better than the later "Fonzie" ones. I guess, to me, the 1st 2 seasons seemed to convey that "50's" feeling more than the later ones. If further sets were released, I'd get S2 and maybe S3 but that would be it for this series for me. As they say, there's only so much $$'s and, maybe for me, more importantly so much shelf space to go around for a collector.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

season 1 only has 17 episodes.... not even 1/10th of the percentage of the entire series on DVD.

It's not like Mork And Mindy where buying season 1 means you own the best received episodes of the series AND it's a reasonable percentage of the total episodes produced.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's still 17 episodes that you won't own otherwise, and it's not a show where you need the later seasons to tie up loose ends and whatnot.

Happy Days isn't my cup of tea by any means, but if I were a fan, I'd rather own a little bit than none at all.

James@R

Second Unit

Think of it as casting your vote at the ballot box. You do your part to let the studio know you are interested in future sets, but you don't get stuck with a show which may not be completed on dvd. It's the best of both worlds. It's also far more effective than simply hoping for future sets or talking about them online.

Beau

Supporting Actor
If Happy Days Season 2 gets released, would there be any hope for Mork & Mindy, or is that series completely hopeless for further releases?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If any of the forgotten Paramount sets(Laverne and Shirley, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy) gets another release, I'm sure it would be favorable for the other 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks