1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Days - Questionable print quality on some episodes?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carlos Garcia, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed several episodes of Happy Days used rather grainy and scratchy prints as their source. The Beatnik episode comes to mind...This one was grainy and scratchy from beginning to end. Then there's the episode where Richie loses the band's money in a poker game...This episode is very strange when it comes to the print source. Most of the scenes look very sharp, however, there are other scenes (like when Potsie actually sings "All Shook Up") where the print suddenly shifts from sharp and clean to grainy and scratchy! Then I started to think...Hmmm, I haven't seen that scene in any syndication prints...in fact, I only remember seeing it on its first run. Could it be that Paramount somehow didn't have the original masters complete, and instead have the cut syndication prints? If this is so, did they have to use the workprints in order to restore the missing scenes? I just don't understand the shift in quality from pristine to obviously grainy and wornout. It's a shame too, because most of the time, when scenes shift from sharp to grainy, it does look rather jarring. Anyone else notice this? I wonder what the real scoop is on the prints used!

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I did notice that the beatnik episode looks bad, and it looked pretty bad the one time I saw it in syndication last year, too. It's obvious that for whatever reason, they didn't have a good print of this episode. And yeah, I've noticed some scratchy quality in various scenes. So you're not alone in noticing it, though it doesn't really bother me (except in that one episode).

3. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I've noticed this too. I was thinking that maybe the weaker-looking scenes were once things that had been cut out in syndication. If so, at least the shows are now complete, even if they had to utilize some weaker footage now and then.