What's new

happy chinese new year... (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Know of a Mandarin version, Ted? It's still amusing in Cantonese, but it'd be even better if I could understand at least some of the words that they're saying. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sorry thomas - my aunt sent me that, but i'll see if she has a mandarin version.

don't feel bad...i barely understood any of it either. you should hear me try to talk to my grandmother. she still tells me i talk like a 5 year old - that is, after she checks to see if i'm warm enough, still working, and eating right.

:D

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i thought it had captions? in what language was it?

dang i AM chinese, but we dont speak chinese anymore. almost nobody does, because i was born in jakarta.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
let me add Gong Xi Fa Cai!

(around here we use Hanyu Pinyin).

sigh, first year where I'm no longer eligible for red packets (funny that you lot are referring to them as "bags"). on the flip side I haven't been forced to give any either.

BTW, that MTV skit was pretty funny, Felix it was captioned in Chinese, mostly simplified script Hong Kong style, if you ask me. I don't understand Cantonese, barely caught a third of the text version. but it's a old-ish CNY pop song that's been around for as long as I can remember, although I don't think I've ever heard it in Mandarin, only Cantonese (sorry Thomas).

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Here's a nifty little site I found: Link Removed

Looks like it has sheep instead of ram. It refers to this year as the year of the black sheep. ?

After watching that flash bit, I thought they were singing Oh Bla Di for a minute there. ;)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the title of the song is "Choy Shan Dao", the title track to Sam Hui's 1978 album, which was also a tribute to Elvis Presley. Sam Hui is not only the most important figure in HK pop music in the last 30 years, but one of the biggest stars in HK film history; Jet Li took over his title role in "The Swordsman" series after Sam Hui announced his retirement in 1991. His retirement concerts of 41 straight sellout shows is still a standing record in HK, over 10 years after his retirement. Both John Woo and Tsui Hark spoke at his retirement (when he was just 44 years old!!) tribute.

A modern Chinese New Year Classic!!

P.S. Check out this website dedicated to Sam Hui. You may recognize Sam Hui's older brother Michael Hui from movies such as "Cannonball Run" and "The Chinese Box".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks