What's new

Happy Chinese (Lunar) New Year (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Gong Hay Fat Choy...

I rode in today with my red bike shorts underneath long pants and wearing my only red shirt in my collection.

Too bad I didn't see any fireworks today on the ride in.

On a sort of side note, who here likes Haw Flakes?

http://www.cardhouse.com/a/pixbarn/p19.htm

I think these Chinese candy can be the next best thing to Silica!

Jay

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ohh man, Haw Flakes are da BOMB! I haven't had them in so long, though.

Gong xi fa cai!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I hope you guys don't wash your hair today! Wouldn't want to was away the good luck:)

Happy New Year!

B

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Yes, Happy New Year! It is quite the madhouse here in Little Saigon this week. What is normally a quick trip in the morning for a cafe sua da and Banh Bo Nuong La Dua, has been a 45 minute event in the morning. This week I have eliminated Pho for lunch. As it is too tough to get in and out of LS in an hour period. Very festive, and a great overall feel here. I love working in this city.

edit: for my awful Vietnamese spelling

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

No, would you like some Haw Flakes or Silica? I still have a couple Haw Flake rolls at home. Sometimes they get old and then the flakes become "One Big Haw Tube" but they still melt in your mouth and get stuck in between your teeth. Maybe they should put a warning on it, "Bad for dentures" :)

We bought a bag of mandarins but most of the leaves fell off in transit from NYC to where I live.

Too old for the red envelope though. :-(

Jay

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Now that reminds me that when we presented a red envelope (right before the lunar new year) to a recently immigrated Chinese couple who cleaned our apartment in Sydney, they were open-mouthed.

But really should not have been, considering some of the furniture and art in our apartment.

Gong xi fa cai

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought it was next week? i'm flying to LA this weekend so i can see my grandmom, et al.

year of the monkey right? that's my year! (explains a lot...)

haw flakes! yum...my mom used to buy those 12-packs. i'd eat them like nobody's business.

regarding red envelopes, what's the rule? i think if you're married, you have to give to the unmarried....but the unmarried don't have to give to anyone? works out well for me...has for years and years! ;)

but now that i'm older i always give my grandmother money ... one of those respect things.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I'd rather have them cakes, called "tikoy" in the Philippines. I'd better call my Chinese friends for some of that.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Correct. The theory being that you are not an adult until you marry. Weird...

This worked in my favour until last year's New Year, since I only got hitched in 2002 (at age 33). So now whilst my brother and sister continue to pocket the red packets, I just sit there with a silly grin on my face as the relatives look at me and say "you're not eligble anymore..." On the flip side, I have yet to give away any, since most of my cousins married just before I did, and I haven't run into their children yet...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx yee.

just got back from LA - spent the weekend with my grandmother and all my uncles and aunts. they're all married ... and i'm not ... so i must say i probably scored. ;) tbh, i haven't even looked yet ... but i think i was very lucky this year.

doesn't hurt that this is my year - long live the monkey!

i also think i'm done with eating at chinese restaurants for a while. i'm still full....

:D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I am going to milk this for as long as possible as a secondary source of income. But being 36 and still single, I don't think this can last long....I hope not :frowning:

Jason GT

Second Unit
Hey, I'm in Vancouver and it hasn't helped me. I'm a bit younger than Danny though.

Anyways, I have no idea where Castro Valley is, but there's always Monterey Park :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been to Vancouver in over 20 years and I have never visited Monterey Park, but I have appear on a TV dating show. :D Maybe I should start another thread??

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

All right, I just read the thread. Nice going Danny!

Jason: sorry, I was referencing a little remark I made a month or two ago to Danny about visiting someone (a member of that other forum Danny linked to) in Vancouver. Danny, who was the other fellow whom I suggested should also give it a shot? (Not Ted, was it?) Since you obviously are now well into Operation B? :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming,

It was Ted, from the last page of this thread. Well, Cameron_Y also had a 11-hour head start on both Ted and I....wonder if he has located Apple?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks