What's new

Happy 3rd Birthday Dreamcast! (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Play King of Fighters '99 Dream Match on it daily. DC rules for 2d fighting and its few but good RPGs...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I've got numerous import DC games in my VGD cart, I start twitching every time my cursor goes near the checkout button... can't... find... the strength... :D
I was talking to an EB employee (one of the articulate, knowledgable ones) the other week who told me that the majority of queries he gets in-store still pertain to Dreamcast games, used, rare and hard to find ones.
After playing Ikaruga over the weekend, I am convinced the system would have gone on to more than prove itself. Of course Sega would have lost more and more money, but we would've been happy, damnit!!! :D :D
~j

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Marvel VS Capcom 2, NHL 2K2, Bomberman Online.. Basically, newer DC games whose initial run was quite strong but whose presense dropped sharply after only a few weeks. There was still a substantial fan base awaiting the last line of major new domestic DC titles, and they were underwhelmed by the availability.

Bust a Move 4 is often requested... i think it looks and plays better than the PS2 version. Record of Lodoss war is TOPS for requests (although I've been seeing it around here somewhat regularly in recent days). Gundam Side Story, Virtual On (sp?), et al. These are games that aren't too difficult to find online, but people still wander in looking, hoping they'll get lucky.

One of the reasons that I still go to B&Ms instead of doing all my stuff online, is, I can examine whether the title still has the instruction book intact, or what condition the case is in. There is a site, either EBgames or Gamestop, that does not guarantee the condition or presense of packaging beyond the disc itself.

The only game I don't have original casing for is Mr. Driller... and it was free!

I am fortunate to have pretty much every DC game that I want (save for a couple of imports like Guilty Gear X and the original JSR).

It's just really funny to me, to wander into a video game store, with all these full stocked shelves and elaborate displays for Cube, Box, etc... and then to see a dense crowd of figures huddled around the humble 'USED DREAMCAST' section way in the back. It really says a lot.

~j

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I am fortunate to have pretty much every DC game that I want
God I wish! Ikaruga would make for my 52nd Dreamcast game and I still want more. I have to rebuy Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 and 2. I still don't have Mars Matrix (which I want badly). Sega Bass Fishing 2, Power Stone 2, etc.... There are still a good bit more games that I want to get. (I'm trying to spread the purchases around though, I still have allot of PS1 games I haven't picked up that I want as well.)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I still have allot of PS1 games I haven't picked up that I want as well.
Yeah, me too. I'm still playing through the masterful Ape Escape the Spiro series, the PSX Medal of Honor, not to mention all the pre VII FF titles.
Although I can say that I'm more than happy with my DC selection, there's always room for one more...
...and one more, and one more... :D ad nauseum
It's having found little gems like Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm and Project Justice that make my forays into these brat-infested B&Ms worth my time.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
God I wish! Ikaruga would make for my 52nd Dreamcast game and I still want more.
Heh... I'm sitting around 130 & there's definitely a good 15-20 titles I'm very keen to get at the right price including imports, and a number I'd happily snap up at what I term rental prices ($10 at the /very/ most, preferably less).
Of course a lot of that 130 I'd never have bought at full price, mind, but I'll happily pay $5-10 for them for a few evenings' worth of entertainment. There's a good number I've paid $5-10 for that I SHOULD have paid full price for thanks to the amount of fun I've had out of them.
Waiting on a delivery of Lost Golem, Giant Killers & Shenmue 2 from a mate in the UK, and Giant Gram from a guy on TNL. Ikaruga arrived yesterday, along with Blue Stinger (which cost $1). Definitely buying less than I did in the first six months of this year, the bargains have dried up considerably around here, but it's still a nice steady stream. I expect I'll hit 150 without too much trouble, especially with my mate Jon's help in the UK - he scratches my back, I scratch his so to speak).
I'd say I've got the grand total of 3 out & out turkeys, one of which was in a bundle I bought with other games I wanted (and it still worked out as a good price forgetting the WWF game completely), another of which I *had* to have as my friends regard it as a camp classic - "So bad it's good" etc. The other is just, to be frank, crap and I shouldn't have bought it.
I can't see me ever having that many games for any other platform any time soon though (which I'm sure pleases my wife!! ;) ).

ChrisV

Second Unit
When I got mine (last year when the price went down to $70 Canadian) I made a list of games I was going to get for it. And when I had all those games I would be done... needless to say that plan went out the window :) In fact, just today I found myself scouring the internet looking for DC games. Of course, this thread probably had something to do with it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
In fact, just today I found myself scouring the internet looking for DC games.
Heh. I have a few sites/forums that I visit regularly to see what people are selling or what's available for cheap. As I said before, I definitely have slowed down my purchases, especially since the XBox arrived in my house, but I still can't pass up on a bargain. :)
Just counted: total of 134 DC games (inc 10 JPN + 15 UK). That doesn't include the ones in the mail & the handful of "trade bait" I've got sitting in a drawer.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Well, for all DC fans, I think 'Evil Twin' is a great addition. It's incredibly atmosperic. Definitly something to check out.

Romier, you MUST get 'Mars Matrix'. That game kept me busy for nights. The graphics aren't impressive, but its soundtrack and frantic gameplay made up plenty for it.

Speaking of DC titles, I have been trying to locate 'Super Puzzle Fighter 2'. Saw it at a friends place and really liked it. It will probably be one of the last titles I purchase. I doubt I'll ever be able to play through them all before my DC and its backup fail on me.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Romier, you MUST get 'Mars Matrix'. That game kept me busy for nights. The graphics aren't impressive, but its soundtrack and frantic gameplay made up plenty for it.
Checking on ebay the cheapest they got it is for like 50 bucks. I think I'll wait a bit on it.

Since we are on the shooter "tip" so to speak. Has anyone tried Sky Gunner for the PS2? That one looked really interesting and I saw it at a local shop for 19.95.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Romier, ignore that PM!

Speaking of DC titles, I have been trying to locate 'Super Puzzle Fighter 2'. Saw it at a friends place and really liked it.
Ah, someone else's money I can spend...

Tronix have it for $40, apparently in stock. Worth it at that price vs the stupid PSX prices...

Romier, they say they've got Mars Matrix at $19.95 too. Tronix are VERY good.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, that's twice in a row you had the answer to my question. Thanks a lot. I hope VGD and Tronix give you comissions... They certainly should. :)
Thanks again.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Arrgh... Just noticed that 'Super Puzzle Fighter' is on back-order... For anything DC related, that usually means 'when hell freezes over'. Snif! :frowning: Are there any other places?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Gah, sorry 'bout that, Steve. It used to be Tronix would mark it as out of stock on the main listing, now they've changed to only telling you when you go to buy it. Bah. Bad Tronix.

Mars Matrix is the same, Romier. Bah :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks