HANNIBAL Region 3 DVD-No DTS!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Oh, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I picked up the DVD last night. It does not have DTS as an option! [​IMG] It does offer Spanish and Portuguese in 5.1, but these features are practically useless for Region 3. I can't believe they sacrificed DTS for additional language tracks in 5.1 and the usual slew of Asian subtitles. Speaking of subtitles, there is an English subtitle for Ridley Scott commentary. This was kind of cool since I have never seen a disc with a subtitle for the commentary. Is this in the R1 release? Personally, I would have preferred DTS track. I should have purchased R1.
    ------------------

2. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

All right, maybe most of you don't care about region 3, which I don't blame you.
    Does region 1 have subtitles for Scott commentary?
    ------------------

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Nope, no subtitles for the commentary. I actually think that'd be a nice feature to have, while I couldn't care less about a DTS track.
    How do the extras compare? Is the Region 3 version a two-disc set as well?

4. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Everything else seems to be same. Instead of French DD5.1, you have Portugese 5.1 as well as the usual subtitles for the region (Korean, Thai, Chinese, etc.).
    This edition shows the brain sac being cut then cut to the frying pan. No scooping the brain.
    ------------------

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I saw this film at a Korean theater and they did not edit the dinner table scene near the end, but they used haze like they sometimes use in Japan to obscure nude scenes. Are you saying that the Region 3 DVD is edited?

6. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Just read the other thread. Now I understand. I first saw the film in February then later again in Korea. I am among those who swears that the debated cut was in the print I saw in Hawaii. In the case of Korea, the scene was obscured. I guess it was deemed too gross for Korean audiences.

7. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Roger, R3 version is uncut. In Korea, UIP had to fog the brain scene in order to get censorship approval. I believe it was the first time a film was fogged for vioence. Normally, it is cut. Eyes Wide Shut was also fogged in Korea to cover the pubic hair. However, you see more than the US release since they used the international version (no cloaked figures covering the in and outs.
    ------------------