What's new

Hannibal credits (1 Viewer)

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
In Roger Ebert's review of Hannibal, he mentions that Gary Olman is uncredited. I watched it last night for the first time (loved it right up to the dinner scene and that scene blew the whole movie for me) and Oldman's name and character got third or fourth billing.
Does anyone know what is up with that? Was it just an oversight or intentional omission for the theatrical run?
Just curious. Thanks.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Gary Oldman is credited as Mason Verger in the closing credits of both the theatrical version and the DVD version of "Hannibal". He doesn't get an opening credit, however, but as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't mean he's "uncredited". I don't know if Roger Ebert considers you uncredited if you lack an opening credit or if he's just wrong, like he frequently is. Remember his retrospective review of "This Is Spinal Tap"? He thought that their herpes sores were lip rings. Also, in his "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" review, he says that Ben Affleck doesn't appear as Holden McNeil, his "Chasing Amy" character, only to say that he *does* appear as Holden McNeil in the next paragraph. Later in the review, he says that Jason Lee plays Banky Edwards from "Chasing Amy" in the scene where he's actually playing Brodie Bruce from "Mallrats". Ebert clearly didn't realize that Lee was playing two different characters in the movie.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
Ebert realized that he was playing two different characters. He just got which one mixed up.
Come on man don't start with the 'Ebert is an ignorant fool' type stuff. Yes, he occasionally gets stuff wrong. Don't we all? I hardly think it means hes not a professional.
I saw Hannibal in the theaters and specifically recall that there was not a credit, at the beggining or the end. I looked because I'd read Eberts review. Perhaps it was added to later prints. Or perhaps you might be wrong. :)
Also, IMDB states....
The only reference to Gary Oldman in the credits is "Assistant to Gary Oldman."
------------------
200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
My DVDs
--'What', then 'ever', immediately followed by 'dude'--

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I read Ebert's review before seeing the movie. I remember noting his comment that Oldman is uncredited, then checking the end credits. I distinctly remember seeing Oldman credited there.
Of course, we all know the sorts of tricks our minds can play on us when it comes to this movie…

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Hannibal opening week in Boston and I am 100% I saw Oldman's name in the end credits. The reason is that I did not know he was in the movie (I must have been under a stone somewhere) and during the movie I thought to myself that the guy could be Oldman, but was not sure at all. It was later confirmed during the end credits.
Ron Birk

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I, too am 100% sure that Oldman was credited in the end credits. I had heard he was uncredited and wanted to see if a pseudonym was used. Contrary to what I had heard, Oldman was credited no differently than any other castmember in the theatrical credits, although he didn't get an opening credit, as I said in my original response.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just watched this a couple of nights ago, and I had no idea that Gary Oldman was in this movie.
What part did he play?
BTW, I agree that the dinner scene really ruined this movie.
[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on November 18, 2001 at 09:40 PM]

A bit off topic but relevant to the Hannibal movie.

I watched this movie in the Cinema and quite liked it. I went away thinking not a bad film but it could have been better.

A month or so later someone lent me the Hannibal book and so I thought it would only be polite to read it. After reading the book I became very dissapointed in the movie. The amount of detail they left out including a whole sub plot really did not do the book justice. The ending was also completely changed because (I should imagine) of the missing sub plot and it also left it more open for a triology.

I dont own the DVD however to my understanding the directors commentry doesnt mention the diffrences between the book and the film and the resons for it. Does anyone know what those reasons where?

For anyone who did enjoy the film or anyone who felt a little short changed after watching it I would deffinetly reccomend reading the book.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Ridley Scott did mention some of the difficulties of translating the book to the screen. One thing I recall him mentioning was the fact that the book was 600 some pages long and he couldn't include everything in the movie.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I dont own the DVD however to my understanding the directors commentry doesnt mention the diffrences between the book and the film and the resons for it.
You obviously haven't heard the director's commentary! :) (But yes, Ridley Scott discusses the challenges of adapting the novel on the track.) Might be worth a rental.

I do agree that the ending of the book did make me feel a little uneasy. But I put it down to the drugs!!!

However I did think the Sub plot in the book was as intreging as the main storyline.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Gary Oldman has a way of making himself indistinguishable in his movies. I didn't know that he was Mason Verger until I saw the extras. Maybe his name wasn't in the credits for this reason.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Might be worth a rental.
...to say the least, Mr. Modesty. :) If you liked the film even a little, the DVD is a fantastic presentation worth owning.
As for the initial inquiry, a "medium to big-name star" is said to make an "unbilled" appearance when their name does not appear in the opening credits even if it does appear in the closing cast scroll. A few recent examples would include Kevin Spacey in Se7en, Christopher Walken in Sleepy Hollow, or Michael Keaton & Samuel Jackson in Out of Sight. Oldman's case was kind of unusual because of the size of the role.
It is likely that this is what Ebert meant by "uncredited". His review even says to search the end credits to see who it was, which means that Oldman's name should be there, and that Ebert was only talking about the advertising and opening credits.
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks