1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hanna - quick review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I was not overly impressed by "Hanna", but I think it comes down to Joe Wright films in general for me, they seems to leave me cold and uninvolved, and "Hanna" is no different. With the basic plot of teenager Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) being raised in remote isolation in Germany by her father Erik (Eric Bana) until she is ready for the outside world, but she's been trained to be a survivor ready to counter forces ready to do her harm. Hanna and her father make a run for it with separately journeys to an agreed upon destination in order to reintegrate into the normal world. On their scent is Marissa Wiegler (Cate Blanchette), a CIA spook who has a stake in finding them after all these years.

There are some good fight choregraphy scenes without the million and one edits, so you get a good idea of what's going on (though Hanna's fight scenes left me somewhat unconvinced of her fighting acumen, but I suppose her age and slight build had her would-be assailants underestimating her). Joe Wright is a good director, but his style just doesn't click with me. The score by the Chemical Brothers was far too intrusive to my liking, jarring at times at odds with the story unfolding. Oh, and running, lots of running and chase scenes.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Actually she was raised in Finland not far from the Artic circle.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    By the way, Hanna didn't go in the direction I really wanted for an action film which is why I'm only giving it a "B". It's a solid film, but it was a letdown for me based on the trailers and direction I thought it would have taken.

Crawdaddy

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I liked the first half better than the second half. Some great character work with Hanna experiencing the world for the first time out of the cocoon that Erik Heller had created for her. Once it boiled down to a pretty standard action picture, I was less involved.

I would love more films with this character.

5. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I saw this over the weekend and wasn't impressed. I thought there would be more fight scenes. Also, she is suppose to be some kind of fighting machine and it seemed she spent a lot of time running away.

6. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    It was far better then I expected, though I thought the second half also had some difficulties. Still, a lot of fun.

7. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I thought it had some great scenes that didn't add up to much overall. Worth a look but not one to buy (at least for me).

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Not much of a mystery in Hanna's background. Who didn't guess super soldier?

But you'd have to be genuinely super-human to grab onto the bottom of a moving humvee and get pulled out of a narrow shaft without being mangled.

I did like Erik's answer to "Why now?"

9. marry

marry Auditioning

merlin
    Well, I bought it and watched, I think that Hanna is worth to watch. I was expecting for a action movie and (Director) Joe Wright fulfill me. Hanna is overall a good package and worth to download and watch.