What's new

Hanna Barbera fans rejoice! Jonny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons coming! (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David, that I don't have an answer for, but its not enough to make me wonder if its a different Jonny Quest series being released in may...although I admit that I like to keep an optamistic tone.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Man, I wish I knew which version of all these shows I used to watch. Up until recently I didn't even realize that these shows seem to have half a dozen different versions each. I know I used to watch Jonny Quest and the Jetsons (and for that matter, the flintstones and scooby doo) as a kid, which for me would have been early 80s. That also makes it 20 years ago, so my memory is kinda fuzzy on what exactly I saw :). Anyone have any thoughts on which versions of these cartoons I might have watched?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Well, re. Jonny Quest, if you found yourself sprinting to the toilet to yack, you probably were watching the 1996 variation, or the '87 version. :)

As for Scooby and Flintstones, I wasn't aware they *were* different versions of those shows. I've only seen one "version" of each of those (except for a substitute Barney Rubble voice in some Flintstones' eps.; they replaced Mel Blanc).

The Jetsons second version isn't really too bad (IMO). It's very similar, IIRC, to the original 1962 series.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I've got to agree with this, because until recently I didn't know that there was such a large gap between season 1 and 2 as it were from the 60's to the 80's.

Its not that there were different versions of the Flintstones but it and Scooby Doo had had a number of spinoff type shows I guess you'd call them.

You had the Flintstone kids, The Pebbles and Bam Bam Show, and a few others that escape me right now.

You also had a Pup named Scooby Doo, the Scooby Doo movies and so on and so forth.

Oh, and in a way to relate this to another of David's favorite topics, the Dick Van Dyke show, I'm sure that it is well known by all that Alan Reed, voice of Fred Flintstone played an auctioneer in a season 3 episode of the Dick Van Dyke show “The Masterpiece.”

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Totally in agreement with David & Casey RE: The Jetsons versions. As a kiddie, I had no idea that some of the episodes I watched were only a few years old while the others were from the '60s! In fact, I don't think I actually found that out until the series was announced for DVD, which prompted me to do some checking at tvtome.com

Since I've probably seen most (if not all) of this series, I will be on board for the entire series of releases (which shouldn't be too many).

In regards to the sampler discs, my money is on the info being incorrect and that it will be fixed in the days/weeks to come.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Hmm, when I look at the three pictures posted above, the one that rings the most bells to me is the cover for the new dvd. And I guess people have been implying that the artwork on that looks like it was from the 87 version, which makes me suspect that I watched that version. I remember liking it as a kid, so maybe my taste was bad. I do know it definitely wasn't the 96 version.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, surprised nobody has mentioned This which is posted over at tvshowsondvd.com.

Gord is confirming that the release in May will be of the original Jonny Quest series.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Excellent, Casey. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Although I'm still totally in the dark as to WHY Warner wants to include a '96 episode in a "Sampler" type of dealie, to help promote its 1964 JQ boxed set. Believe me, that's not gonna aid sales one bit.

:confused:

Oh, well.... :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some pre-release Jonny Quest DVD info, courtesy www.classicjq.com .............

>> "Just a quick note for now to say the DVD is very, very nice. It looks like the digital masters created by Turner around 1996 were used for this effort, which is great in terms of picture quality. Beautiful colors. I tell you, you don't realize how much purple people wore back then until you watch these old JQs!

Race uses his P.F. Flyers Magic Ring to signal Jonny for help in a 1964 commercial.

I was extremely surprised by the P.F. Flyers commercial ... it's in color! I'd only seen it in B&W before, and had read or was told that the commercial was filmed in B&W.

JQ fans will be happy with the packaging, which indicates a lot of effort on someone's part. Pics are pulled from many different episodes and a few publicity stills.

There are a few nit-picky faults with the set (that are part of the Turner masters), but here's a major one: series creator Doug Wildey is not mentioned in the end credits. The credits for 'Pursuit of the Po-Ho' are (apparently) used for all episodes. Ironically, that is the only episode on which Wildey doesn't receive a credit for his work. Also, Don Messick isn't listed in the main cast, even though he voiced Dr. Quest for 20 episodes.

For those of you who were wondering: The title card for 'Mystery of the Lizard Men' and the title and opening pan for 'Arctic Splashdown', which don't show on Boomerang, are present. The episodes are presented in broadcast order, with seven each on Discs 1-3. The rest of the shows and the extras are on Disc 4. More to come!"

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I hope this is true especially about 4th Quarter this year. All these will be mine. Keep the Hanna Barbera coming.:emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've been dropping hints about those for a while in various news items. I'm shocked at how few people have picked up on them. Especially this one from 4/17:

:laugh:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Back of the Jonny Quest Season One DVD package (note how original "Classic '64" JQ artwork and drawings are used for this side of the box, unlike the front cover) .......

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
THIS DVD must be one of the "Sampler" discs discussed earlier. (Although it's kind of odd that under "Studio", Amazon has "studio name not provided".)

I guess this must mean that a "Real Adventures Of Jonny Quest" boxed set is on the horizon. (Good luck to them on selling more than 6 of those sets. They'll need it. :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks