Hanna Barbera DVDs ????

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Patrick Senatro, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Patrick Senatro

As far as Hanna Barbera DVDs go all has been pretty good, but I personally have had enough of the funny cartoons such as Scooby Doo, Top Cat, Yogi Bear,Huckleberry Hound, etc. When are the Super Hero shows that Hanna Barbera was famous for ever going to see the light of day on DVD such as Space Ghost, Herculoids, Thundarr, Birdman? I would even love to see Blue Falcon and Dynomutt. These are the DVDs I am waiting for. Anyone else have any favorite Hanna Barbera cartoons you are waiting for?

2. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

Yes, I do, but it's a funny one, and I may be the only person in the world wanting it (aside from my friend Dave). But I would love the complete (only 13, I think) series of "The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley." It was one of the strangest, funniest Saturday morning shows ever done -- I can't imagine anybody in the under ten crowd got it. Martin Short voiced Ed, of course, and Catherine O'Hara played his crush, the very decent Miss Malone, a struggling actress. Joe Flaherty appeared live-action in each episode as his SCTV character Count Floyd, and Jonathan Winters and Andrea Martin also provided voices. They seemed to be doing whatever amused them (parodies of "It's a Wonderful Life," Short as Bette Davis as Amelia Earhardt, an episode done inexplicably as a musical). I thought it was hilarious. I don't expect to ever see a DVD of it, but I'd snap it up in a second.

3. Julio Diaz

Julio Diaz Stunt Coordinator

The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour, which features the Blue Falcoln & Dynomutt toons mentioned above, is coming out very soon. But I haven't heard anything about any of the other more "serious" super-hero shows. I'm a fan, myself, and would love to see some of them come out.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was having a conversation with someone in the industry about this very subject, and basically what we each concluded with evidence from each of our points of view was that the funny ones are more popular with most folks and therefore sell better. The most popular one of the "serious" cartoons is Space Ghost, and we couldn't figure out why not...until we figured out that the studio probably figures that there would be confusion as to the difference between the original show and the Coast To Coast version.

I expect these serious ones to come out further on down the line, when the shows the studio concludes are "more popular" are already out on home video.

5. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

Has there been any word on a possible Smurfs release in 2006?

Paul

6. Matt-Z

Matt-Z Stunt Coordinator

I'd be second in line for Ed Gimley. I thought Count Floyd was the best.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Yogi's Ark
    Laff-a-Lympics
    the Banana Splits
    the Herculoids
    Jeannie
    Partridge Family 2200 A.D.

I want the Banana Splits or at least sets of all the different cartoons they showed on there, Arabian Knights and etc. And I want to see all of Danger Island complete! Did they even ever film an ending to that serial?

8. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I think I want everything but high on my list not announced are The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Clue Club and Devlin.

9. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela

That's the one I want the most on DVD, I hope we get some good news about it this year [​IMG]

10. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'll take "Abbott & Costello". I posted this on another thread sometime last year. When I was a kid, I had a VHS tape with I guess about 20 A&C cartoon shorts on it. Bud Abbott provided the voice for his cartoon counterpart. I'd be all over that show in a heartbeat if it were to become available. It would bring back some very fond memories.

11. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I'd like to see HB's two Legends of the Super-Heroes live-action specials (also known as the "live-action Justice League" shows) released. Now that HB's stuff is owned by WB (who own the DC characters), it should be easy to pull off, but as the people at DC comics still consider these shows to be a total embarrassment, I won't hold my breath.

12. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I would absolutely snap up any ABBOTT & COSTELLO set that HB offered as well. And the "action/sci-fi" series like SPACE GHOST and THE HERCULOIDS would warrant a purchase too. But my #1 choice of HB animation would have to be THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS. I'm speaking of the original, not the abominable "Super-Globetrotters" nonsense.

Gary "actually, I'm thinking that HB doesn't own the GLOBETROTTER series anymore - but I'm not sure why I think that" O.

13. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Stunt Coordinator

John Francis Pannozzi
    Quick Draw McGraw (already rumored)

The 80s revival of the Jetsons

The Magilla Gorilla Show

Space Ghost and Dino Boy (only 20 half-hour episodes)

Birdman and the Galaxy Trio

The Herculoids

Sealab 2020

Space Stars

Pac-Man

Yogi's Treasure Hunt

13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo

ULTRAMAN THE ADVENTURE BEGINSiƒEƒ‹ƒgƒ‰ƒ}ƒ“USAj

The New Yogi Bear Show

Tom and Jerry Kids

Wake, Rattle, & Roll (also known as Shake, Rattle, & Roll)

2 Stupid Dogs

What A Cartoon (a.k.a. World Primere Toons or Cartoon Cartoon Show)

Shows that have already been released on DVD, but deserve box sets:

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo

Dexter's Laboratory

The PowerPuff Girls

Johnny Bravo

Cow & Chicken

I Am Weasel

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Shows I'm not personally all that interested in but would be neat to see on DVD:

The 80's revival of Jonny Quest

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

The Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel Show

Fantastic Four

Mighty Mightor

Samson and Goliath

Moby Dick

Shazzan

The Banana Splits

The Cattanoga (sic?) Cats

It's the Wolf

Motormouse and Autocat

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home (never seen it but heard's it's good)

Help! It's the Hair Bear Bunch

The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan

Inch-High Private Eye

Roman Holidays (heard it's bad, but I'm still somwhat interested in seeing it)

Both versions of the Addams Family

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids

Speed Buggy

Yogi's Gang

The New Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show

Jabberjaw

Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics

Undercover Elephant

Godzilla (the rights to this show have reverted to Toho, and Classic Media picked up the video rights)

Yogi's Space Race and the Galaxy Goof-Ups

Scooby and Scrappy Doo

Smurfs

Snorks

The Flintstones Kids

Fantastic Max

Pound Puppies

Yo Yogi!

Captain Planet

14. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

HB Titles I want that haven't been rumored yet in 2006...

1. Smurfs
    2. Pac Man
    3. The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Hour
    4. The Flintstone Kids
    5. Scooby's All-Star Laff-A Lympics

I'd also like to see them release more single volume editions of a Pup Named Scooby Doo beyond the first two volumes.

Paul

15. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    I want a lot of the titles,mentioned above,but I most want Captain Caveman And The Teen Angels.

16. Matthew Green

Matthew Green Stunt Coordinator

MORE Superfriends
    Drac PAck
    Zorro
    Filmation's Batman, Aquaman, Superman etc.
    Pac Man

17. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    With the original run of JONNY QUEST long ago streeted and on my shelf, there's only one other H-B show I want in a DVD set, but it's a longshot:

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968-69)

A short-lived primetime H-B series combining live-action and cartoon animation. Because it was made for primetime, and had a trio of live-action lead players interacting with a cartoon world, more effort was put into producing somewhat fuller animation than was the norm for H-B's Saturday Morning fare from the late 1960s. The episodes were helmed by live-action directors, like Byron Haskin (WAR OF THE WORLDS, ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS, THE NAKED JUNGLE, etc) and Hollingsworth Morse (MCHALE'S NAVY, FLIPPER, F-TROOP, ADAM-12, ISIS, THE DUKES OF HAZZARD, THE FALL GUY).

TV.com's summary, with links to its episode guide:

http://www.tv.com/the-new-adventures...full_summary=1

A few pictures, via Toon Tracker's HUCK FINN page:

http://www.toontracker.com/huckfinn/huckfinn.htm

It was also probably the oddest show H-B ever made. It was later included in the BANANA SPLITS & FRIENDS syndication package of the 1970s.

20 half-hour episodes were made, pretty easy to package as a "Complete Series" collection.

The BOOMERANG network had it in circulation for several years, but oddly, they only aired about half the episodes of the series' run, and with the original opening sequence (which details why Huck, Tom and Becky end up in weird, faraway lands each week, and shows Aunt Polly the "real" Injun Joe) missing. The end credits were there, though.

Actually, I'd probably also spring for a dedicated PIXIE, DIXIE & MR. JINKS DVD collection. [​IMG]

18. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

It seems that Warner Home Video has been doing three waves a year on the H-B titles. In March the last three years has been the Flintstones and Scooby Doo. May has seen different sets each year (2004-Jonny Quest and the Jetsons; 2005-Penelope Pitstop and Dastardly & Muttley). November/December has been the Flintstones and another title like Top Cat, Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound.

The Flintstones will be complete at the end of this year and so will Huckleberry Hound (hopefully). I think it would be great if one of the three waves each year was dedicated to the H-B Super Hero shows like Space Ghost, Birdman & The Galaxy Trio, etc., etc. There is so much material out there that at this rate it will take a loooooooong time to get it all released.

Be patient. It took 17 years from the last official Huck VHS release to 2005's Huck box set. Patience won out. It's coming.

19. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Peter, I soooo remember that Huckleberry Finn thing. Haven't seen it in 30+ years but I still remember part of the theme song "Hear that whistle blow..." Yeah it was a weird weird series. Why on earth were Mark Twain characters running around in a cartoon version of the Arabian Nights anyway? Strange, strange meetings of two different genres. I didn't know what the heck to make of it although I found one of Becky's comments amusing: they were caught out in a desert somewhere and Becky says "Oh we must be in Arkansas--look at the red dirt."

20. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Someone posted a Q&A from one of the WB animation boards several months ago that mentioned the Smurfs. Here's the quote:

I'm not sure if they have worked through the issues yet or not.

The Q&A was originally posted in this thread