1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Hanging Surround speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Larry_S, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

I want to mount these speakers above and behind my seating area in my living room. I will be running my speaker wires through the wall, into the attic and down the wall behind where I would view. The wall only comes down about 1.5 ft from the ceiling where I want to mount them. The speakers weigh about 3lbs each.

My question is, Is it ok to just get a long screw into the stud of the wall, and use the screw mount that is on the back of speakers? I know that's what they are for, but not sure what you guys would recommend. I initially thought I would need a speaker wall mount, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In this setup, I'm not sure how I would get the speakers to tilt down, but would it work?

Thanks,

2. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

Try not to go more than 2" into the speaker with the screw. If you can open the speaker up and look inside, I would do that just to make sure you're not hitting the voice coil.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

4. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

With your speakers mounted that high, you are definitely going to want to point them down fairly dramatically for best results, so a specialty mounting bracket is probably the way to go.

5. Larry_S

Larry_S Agent

Ok, thank you all for the input. I just order some mounts that will point in all directions.

6. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

Hometheaterdirect has a set of bullet-proof speaker mounts for about $30.

Davidd