What's new

Hanging Surround speakers (1 Viewer)

Larry_S

Agent
I want to mount these speakers above and behind my seating area in my living room. I will be running my speaker wires through the wall, into the attic and down the wall behind where I would view. The wall only comes down about 1.5 ft from the ceiling where I want to mount them. The speakers weigh about 3lbs each.

My question is, Is it ok to just get a long screw into the stud of the wall, and use the screw mount that is on the back of speakers? I know that's what they are for, but not sure what you guys would recommend. I initially thought I would need a speaker wall mount, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In this setup, I'm not sure how I would get the speakers to tilt down, but would it work?

Thanks,

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
Try not to go more than 2" into the speaker with the screw. If you can open the speaker up and look inside, I would do that just to make sure you're not hitting the voice coil.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how I would get the speakers to tilt down
Even though you could just bore some holes into your speaker cabinets and screw them to the wall, I'd still look into some speaker mounts instead. There are speaker mounts available that allow you to "swivel" your speakers so that they are properly positioned.

I've seen such mounts before at Best Buy. I'm sure other on-line vendors would have these available, too.

I've found a link to the item that I was trying to describe: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
With your speakers mounted that high, you are definitely going to want to point them down fairly dramatically for best results, so a specialty mounting bracket is probably the way to go.

Larry_S

Agent
Ok, thank you all for the input. I just order some mounts that will point in all directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks