What's new

Hanging speakers from cable or rod (1 Viewer)

Jeremy:::

Auditioning
I think the only way I can get one of my side surrounds in appropriate place is to hang it from the ceiling by a cable or rod of some sort. Can anyone offer a starting point in terms of materials and technique for accomplishing this?

Thanks

Jeremy

ScottCarr

Second Unit
How far do they have to hang?

you can use threaded rods and cover the rods with PVC with can be painted or covered to make them look more attractive

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
I had the same idea when I started with my HT about 2 yrs ago but that's all I did. I am not a very good DIYer so I didn't do it.

I think that would be a solution. Never thought of the PVC though.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I have speakers hanging that are 37 pounds each on chains like the ones flower pots and lamps use. I used decorative hooks in the ceiling and on the speaker cabinets. You must make sure you screw into a beam or use really wide fasteners that go into the ceiling.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
i have all 8 of our surround speakers (Optimus PRO-LX5)hung upside down from our ciling from swag hooks. after some experimentation, i used stainless steel wire. it's available at any hardware store. it's small diameter, flexible, yet very strong.
best,
eric

Jeremy:::

Auditioning
I was thinking of running a steel cable through the ceiling into the attic and attaching it to the rafter. I could put some decorative round thingy where the cable enters the ceiling. Unfortunatley, the fiance put the kibosh on this whole idea. I may have to do some creative bribing.

How low are you speakers hanging? I suppose they'd need to be at least 6'6" or so, so no one gets the corner of a speaker in their forehead

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
jeremy,
the PRO-LX5 throws a very wide soundfield (dipole ribbon tweeters) so i have them only a few inches from the ceiling , pointed at the listening area. i think our ceilings are 8',and they are near the walls, so they are way out of the way.
best,
eric

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same situation and used some stuff from the electrical department of my local hardware store. I used two metal cover plates (which attach to those green outdoor electrical boxes) and a single threaded pipe. The cover plates to look for have a "female" pipe thread exactly in the center of the plate. I threaded the pipe into both cover plates, one facing down and the other facing up. This setup was very sturdy and easy to connect to the ceiling and the speaker. Easy to sand and paint any color you want. And, you can thread the speaker wire inside the pipe. One caveat, the connection to the ceiling must be 90 degrees for the speaker to hang straight down.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Jeremy, it no longer exists. If you are interested, go to your local hardware store and check out the outdoor cover plates. Good luck.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy I used gold chains like you see on small hanging kitchen lamps for my two front speakers (37 pounds each). The side and rear surrounds I used braided steel wire and heavy duty picture hanging hooks. You can get a picture hanging kit with all the parts from Home Depot. If you are wondering how it looks check out this link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/maddmaster

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks