Hanging speakers from a cathedral ceiling.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Bregar, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Mark Bregar

Mark Bregar Auditioning

I'm trying to hang a set of Boston Acoustics VRS speakers from a high ceiling. I'd mount them on the walls if I had 2 of them to mount them on but we live in a somewhat modern house and the builder (and my wife) thought it was cool to have "open" rooms. The problem I'm having is finding something that is long enough to bring the speakers down from the ceiling to a reasonable height. I need about a 3-4 foot extension to the speaker from the ceiling.

Do you guys know of anyone who makes something like this??

2. Mark Bregar

Mark Bregar Auditioning

Anyone know where I can find a hollow steel shaft with threads on it that would attach to a custom omni-mount??

3. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

4. Mark Bregar

Mark Bregar Auditioning

Are you referring to actual pipe or a rod/jack screw type?

5. Rick A.

Rick A. Auditioning

Might take a look at the ceiling fan extension rods. Sounds like this could meet your needs.

6. Mark Bregar

Mark Bregar Auditioning

I thought about the ceiling fan extensions, but I'd prefer something slimmer. If I cant find anything than I think that is the road I'll take.

Omni mount makes a custom adapter that takes a 1/4" dia shaft/rod with a 20 pitch thread. If I could find something like that (hollow for speaker wire), I think I'd be set.
    I talked to Omni mount and they didn't have a clue as to what to connect their custom mount to.