Hanging Paradigm MiniMons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Louis D, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Louis D

Louis D Agent

Quick question all. I have a debacle. I have a pair of paradigm MiniMons that I am using for my surrounds, and I wanted to hang them on the wall. However, they don't have any predrilled holes in them. The are all wood. Any ideas? Anyone know of some good solutions? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SidH

SidH Agent

Don't the MiniMons have a rear port? Then you probably don't want to mount them directly to the wall.
    Another alternative is a mounting bracket with a shelf or arm that clamps to the bottom of the speaker, so no drilling is needed. They extend out from the wall so you have at least a few inches of space behind the speakers.
    Do a search on www.google.com for "speaker mount bracket" and you will find a number of different ones.

3. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

I'm using B-Tech BT77s (I think that's right). The port is only about 3 or 4 inches from the wall but it seems alright with them crossed over at 80 hz. If you search for b-tech on the forum you should find some more info.

4. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

5. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I've also been searching for a wall-mount solution for my Mini Monitors that does not require drilling into the speakers and just received my B-Tech BT77 brackets from Crutchfield yesterday.
    Sometime this afternoon I'll come back to this thread and post a picture of the finished installation. Gotta drink my coffee first, though. [​IMG]

6. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Just finished putting up the right rear. The bottom of the bracket is 6' above the floor and the lowest point of the speaker (w/ a 10-degree down-angle) is 6'4" above the floor.
    For a few reasons I think I'm going to pull the whole thing down and do it over again. Since it is near a doorway I wanted to make sure I don't bump my head on it. I stand 6' so this is plenty of clearance. Using the full 10-degree down-angle the speaker didn't feel completely balanced and secure unless I have it pushed all the way to the back of the bracket. However, considering the Mini is rear ported I'd like to give it more breathing room by placing it more toward the center of the "shelf". If I change it I'll report back later. (I'm assuming someone out there may be interested [​IMG])
    Edit - Don't pay any attention to the exposed cable. When I'm sure that the height is perfect I'll be running the cable down the inside of the wall and out just above the baseboard.
    [​IMG]

7. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I moved the bracket down about a foot, filled in the initial holes with putty and ran the speaker cable through the wall.
    I must say I'm very pleased with these brackets and definitely recommend them for use with Mini Monitors. I've got about 2-3 inches of clearance behind them and while I'd like to have more space for a rear ported speaker they sound fine. The previous placement was about ear level and the soundfield now is much more ambient and full. Here is a pic of their final placement. More photos can be seen on my site using the link in my signature.
    [​IMG]

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ron, thanks much for showing us your mounting work! My Minis are sitting atop my old stereo (unused) spkrs until I mount. So you prompt me to get movin'

Crutchfield has 3 B-Tech mounts safely exceeding the Minis 15.5 lbs: BT-1 blk/white (22#) and yr HD BT-77 @55#.

My question: I have to CEILING mount. BT specs describe sidewall studs. How about ceiling joist configuration?

The less sturdy BT-1 in white meets my decor, but I dont mind going for the blk HD if there's a safety cushion issue.

Can you comment?

9. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Bill, sadly there are very few options for ceiling mounting speakers as heavy as Mini Monitors. The B-Tech models you mentioned are really only good for wall mounting. There isn't much hope if you don't want to drill into your Minis but if you don't mind drilling, Parts Express sells a ceiling mount that is rated to 20 pounds which you can see using this link.
    It's really a relief to finally get my Minis mounted in a way that I can live with. I searched for stands that would put them at an ideal height ever since I bought them. Hell, I even resorted to placing the left speaker on a TV tray (ugh!) because I couldn't find a shelving unit that would work in the confined space on that side. Good luck getting yours mounted!

10. Daniel I

That looks great Ron! I can't wait for mine to arrive. Just wondering what the total height of the Mini monitors and btech bracket together is. I just want to get an idea of the size of the brackets, they look like they add about 4.5 inchs to the height of the Mini monitor ( 13-1/4" )

Thanks

Daniel I

11. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Yes, Daniel, you are right on the money. According to my tape measure the total heighth of the Mini plus bracket is just under 18".

My only complaint is that the speaker doesn't feel real secure when you have them at a 10-degree down angle. The speaker just doesn't sit perfectly flat on the bracket and the side clamps are the only thing holding it on at that angle. I'm going to pick up some of the "grippy" black shelf liner that Rubbermaid makes and cut out a peice to sit under the speaker. That should make it sit a little more secure and give me some peace of mind.

12. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I used BT-77 for my studio-20's and they work great.. Word of caution though. I installed them, then sat down to calibrate. Just then, the studio-20 tipped forward out of the bracket and fell 6 ft to its death. Luckily I purchased them on Visa and had purchase protection so I got a brand new pair free of charge. Not wanting to do it again with my new set, I bit the bullet and drilled a couple holes in the bottom of the speakers. Now they are completely secure and I don't have to be paranoid about them dropping out mid movie [​IMG] .. BTW, I love these brackets.
    Craig

13. Daniel I

Yech scary story Craig! I think if I am going to possibly tie down the speakers as well just to be on the safe side.

Daniel I

14. Craig Woodhall

Daniel,

I was looking for some sort of plastic zap strap to tie down my speakers but couldn't find one big enough. That is when I decieded to drill em.

Craig

15. Louis D

Louis D Agent

Guys,

I just want to say thanks for all the help and info. I ordered them from Crutchfield, and they should be here on Tuesday. I will snap some pics, and show you them mounted when done. BTW, I think I am going to get those little 1/8th inch wood screws for the bottom, just to be safe. Thanks again!!!

16. Craig Woodhall

I just wanted to add, for Canadians who want the bracket, Future Shop is a distributer for B-Tech.. The BT-77's are $79.99/pair CDN, regular price at Future Shop..

Louis,

Good idea with the screws in the bottom, id rather be safe than sorry.. I figured I probably wouldn't be upgrading my studio-20's for a while, if ever so I didn't mind a few tiny holes in the bottom of the speaker..

17. Daniel I

Craig! ARGHHHHHHHHHH
    I purchased these from Crutchfield 5 days ago for 59.99 US plus 20 shipping.
    [​IMG]
    Wow just my luck, and I am still waiting form them :[
    Daniel I

18. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Has anyone else tried these?

19. Craig Woodhall

Daniel,

Ya, I almost ordered from them, that is where I first saw them.. I was gonna send them to a friend in the US then get her to re-direct them to me.. Just for fun, I emailed them and asked for the Canadian distributer, they told me Future Shop and I almost fell off my rocker.. I went down and bought 2 sets of them.. That is why I thought I would mention it, to try to help my Canadian friends.. Sorry I didn't catch you in time!

Craig

20. Randy D

Randy D Auditioning

Will the the BTech brackets work for mounting the Minimonitors from the side or front? I'm planning to to build a frame with 2 x 4's and cover it with acoustically transparent cloth. I want to mount the Paradigms behind the dummy wall facing out and I'm looking for a bracket that could attach to the one of the studs and allow the speaker to face forward.

Randy D