Hanging in the balance of the future

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Polo, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Andy Polo

Andy Polo Stunt Coordinator

This is one of my last threads before i go to the store... and buy a RPTV. However, i have one more question, while all technologies go "out of date" sometime, will my brand new 2000 dollar + piece of equipment be obsolete before HDTV, and do i dare say, DVI become widely available (and cheap [​IMG]). I guess what I'm asking is, how long will my tv be up to date. When will i have to upgrade? With new technologies like DLP and high def projects, I'm worried that these will replace my new RPTV in the future. Help...

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG] This is the dilemma that we all face. What display are you going to get? I am assuming that is does not have DVI (which I would say is not 1000% necessary).

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Ha ha.

Personally, I'm guessing/hoping that plasma will be very affordable by the time HDTV and DVI become widespread AND HD-DVD becomes a reality. I'm really only concerned w/ HD-DVD (and maybe HD via VOD) as far as DVI goes. But I suspect neither HD-DVD nor HD via VOD will become an affordable reality for a long time yet.

_Man_

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I'd expect either many years of good, solid use, or it'll be "out of date" tomorrow. If you have to be on the bleeding edge, plan to buy a new TV every year. [​IMG]