Hanging Def Tech BP2 surrounds - need advice

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin_W, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Grettings,

I've got a pair of BP2's and they've been on stands for a few years now and its time I get them mounted to the wall. I just checked with a stud finder today and found no stud in the area that they need to mounted... just drywall. Each speaker weighs 11 pounds according to their website. Are there drywall anchors that will support 11 pounds? Or more importantly, will drywall alone hold that much weight?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,Molly's will work just fine.Very inexpensive and they will hold alot of weight.Studs are far more preferable though.Are you going to run the wire in the wall?If so I can give you some advice on that.I do it for a living. [​IMG]

3. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Thanks Robert, thats good news.

And yes, I will be running speaker cable up through the wall. Since I dont have access directly under the wall. I am going to have to run the cable down inside the wall then out the baseboard. The cable currently comes up from the basement (where the floor is accessable) a few feet away from each speaker but hidden under the carpet. Does this sound about right?

Thanks for your time,
    Kevin

4. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Do you have fire blocking in your wall?Is the wall insulated?Fire blocking will prevent you from running wire in the wall.A stud finder will tell you.You will need something to penetrate the insulation as you fish the wire down the wall.Really the best way is to run your wire in the attic.Find your three walls,( left speaker,right spkr,and your headout or equipment wall)then drill down.A 3/8 bit should be fine.Most walls have double stacked 2x4's so your bit should be at least 6 inches.Use a 2 inch hole saw and drill into your wall next to where the speaker is going.Check for studs again before drilling that big hole.You can grab your wire that you dropped down from the attic now.A single hole decor wall plate will cover the hole.This should be a two person operation.

5. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Sorry for the late reply Robert, but thanks again for your post, it's much appreciated.

Any chance that drywall tape can cause a reading on a stud finder? Using the stud finder looking for firestops, i am getting a reading of something in the wall about half way up... but it's not a full reading. About 2-3 out of 4 lights on the stud finder. And if you look close enough you can tell its where the drywall tape is.

Thanks as always!

6. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

7. Ed Cherry

Ed Cherry Auditioning

I have hung a pair of BP2xs on just drywall. Most any wall anchor system will work. They are quite lite !!!

8. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Nice diagram Mike. Yea I think that's what I have. I checked in between several studs and the studfinder is picking up something.

As far as stud's being within 8", that is true, the problem being the speakers can literally only hang in one place. To put them on studs would not only be impossible on one side of the room, they would really look silly in there location.

Also, considering the fact that there is no attic above the wall (its actually the upstairs to the house [​IMG]), it sounds like I'm screwed. Can't go up with the wire and it seems the firestops are going to keep me from going down. Too bad the firestops arent higher up in the wall... then they would solve all my problems [​IMG]

9. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

10. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

[threadfart]You guys have got to go to MikeWH's Home Theater Page and check out the virtual tour of his theater.[/threadfart]

11. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit