What's new

Hands on with Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes it's nice to just turn on the TV and have 10-20 minutes of 'good clean fun' with a game like this
Oh absolutely. A good portion of my games collection would come under that category ;) Just think Wreckless should be a case of 'buyer beware' - it got a lot of prerelease hype as being 'the next big thing'.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Well naturally I couldn't resist buying this during lunch today. :b I agree that there's a place for a pick-up-and-play game like this. I have a thing for driving games, so I just had to get this one.
Also, Gamespot has their review up. (a score of 6.8 - lowest I've seen so far) :
Gamespot Review
-Dan

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
You guys have to play this game more...

From what I understand there is a lot of diversity in the level and vehicles...

Did you get to the platforming sewer level (yes, I said platforming)

Have you gotten the Tank?

Have you experiemented with different types of cars, and different levels of traffic density to complete the harder levels?

Have you destroyed the dump truck with the girl tied on the front?

As is the case with most games,(including games like Halo, MGS2 and FFX) you don't get to the *meat* of the game right away....

Play it more, you'll like it...

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I bought this game, played it for a few hours and then returned it and got SSX Tricky. The graphics are lovely although I had to turn up the brightness on my TV since I could hardly make anything out, especially with all the stuff to crash into on the side of the road. The game was pretty cool to me for about and hour or two then I got bored. Some levels were really cool and had me coming back for more but some were really annoying and just sucked all the fun out of it for me. After playing for a while I got bored and turned it off. I tried giving the game another chance but just couldn't see myself coming back for more since the ability to crash into stuff isn't that much of an incentive for me to play a game, especially since I already have PGR. That game gives me my driving fix plus it has a free roam mode which if this game had I would have kept since I could come back and just smash into stuff for as long as I wanted. The time limit takes the fun out of just smashing into stuff when I'm not trying to complete a mission so I returned it and got something else. And damn am I glad I did. I love SSX Tricky. I can't believe I passed on this game. I stayed up until 5 this morning playing it and I had a Health Management test too.
:D Oh well, I'm happy with my purchase and I hope you guys who love Wreckless are happy with yours and get more pleasure out of it than I did.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I agree Brian, that this is NOT the next big thing. Personally, I am looking forward to 'Rallisport Challenge'
The graphics in Wrekless are great, and it is fun, but some of these levels are just insanely hard (ramming the dim-sum carts in a race against the computer opponent comes to mind) Not for everyone, but fun, and great to look at.
I will probably play it till the end of the month, and then trade it in on Rallisport, or JSRF (some more Good Clean Fun titles ;) )
About 16x9... you know, I really have not scrutinized it yet, but I would say not. Also, the 5.1 sound is not that impressive at all for an X-Box title.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I also saw this post at the IGN Boards:

"I work at Target and saw the ad starting Feb. 17th. They are putting Wreckless on sale for 39.99."

So that brings the price down to $34.99 between Feb. 17th & 23rd with the above coupon.

-Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
Reminder bump for the $34.99 sale w/coupon at Target.

Did anyone else decide to pick up the game? What did ya think?

-Dan

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked this title up today, and I have to say, it has left me feeling disappointed. I have only done 5 or 6 missions, so hopefully it will grow on me, but so far I have found it to be frustrating and repetitive. So far it has just been about driving and smashing into things, which can be fun, but only for so long. Part of the problem is that I was expecting it to be more like Driver for the Playstation, which I really enjoyed.

It definitely is a nice looking game and hopefully the more I play it the more I will enjoy it, but so far I feel like I wasted my money.

MikeP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks