Hands on with Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RANDY FISHER, Feb 1, 2002.

1. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Dang I thought you were going to say that you had it already. Yeah, this game is the next one to join my collection, the reviews are pretty positive. I'm a little worried, however, that some reviewers are overlooking the game's faults because of the game's stellar visuals. The framerate is so-so from what I've heard, for instance... plus the game has been called: short, easy, and has some poor level designs. Still, I love driving games, so this one's a no-brainer.
    Here are some p/review snips:
    OXM
    Rating: 9.1 (for reference, they gave PGR a 9.0) "Wreckless is a work of art, and for its few, but glaring failings, it's still a stunning achievement."
    IGN Xbox from the link that Randy posted: "I've been playing Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission all day and I have to say, it's my favorite Xbox title to date. The game is God damn pretty. Yes, the graphics are so phenomenally beautiful they require minor swear words to describe."
    -Dan
    note to self: add Devo's "Speed Racer" to Xbox custom soundtrack for this game

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I saw it too. If the reviewer thinks this game is more enjoyable than Halo then I'm just about all set to buy it on Tuesday.

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Ugh! Apparently I won't be listening to Speed Racer afterall, since I just read that custom soundtracks are not supported. [​IMG]
    -Dan

5. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

That preview seems kinda light.

I'm coming from a GTA3 background, how does this game compare?

I understand you don't shoot guns but how else do you interact with the environment? When your car is too damaged, do you have to jack another car? Do you ever walk around the city?

The preview makes it sounds like a violent game of Crazy Taxi.

Why is it his favorite XBox game?

IGN is so weak.

Doug

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I don't think it's violent at all.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Doug, ever see Super Runabout? From what I can tell, it's a glossy version of that...

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Here are some reviews of the game that went up last night. These reviews are much more down to Earth.
    Team Xbox
    Gaming Age
    Game Pen
    -Dan

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I believe its mostly the same team as Super Runabout, so thats not surprising. The big criticisms (too few missions, handling quirks) are the same as I had about that as well. Despite the problems I rather liked Super Runabout though, so this isn't the end of the world. How much of that was down the SR modelling the real San Francisco, rather than a city I've never been to though is an issue.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

From the Gaming Age review:

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Gloss over content. Looks pretty though.

12. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

This is really disappointing. I was looking forward to this title as being my next purchase, but it looks like a "renter".

Here's hoping for Gunvalkyrie!

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

xbox.ign.com has given it a rating of 9.0. An Editor's Choice Award was also given. I think the review is Insider only, so I can't post it.
    Also, apparently Electronics Boutique has the game in stock already (in store and online). My local Best Buy said they will not receive it until the 16th.
    -Dan

14. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

im picking this up today at lunch..i figure even if its ok..it looks amazing..and it will be a good demo game to show off the Xboxs power..and it should hold me over for at least another week until State of Emergency comes out (unless it gets delayed again!)

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

OK, spent some time on Wreckless & watched it being played a bunch more.

Fancy fancy graphics. Really nice effects like heathaze & depth of field. The cars look especially nice & "solid". Replay graphics are superb with some great realtime effects & camera placement - I like them better than the GT3 ones. The background chars look & act poorly.

Gameplay wise though, unimpressed. Think Super Runabout with Chase HQ. The handling's okay... Collisions are plentiful & over the top... You can destroy lots of scenery & cause lots of chaos... But at the end of the day, it didn't seem like much had changed at all from Super Runabout or Crazy Taxi.

16. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

I have played Wreckless for about 2 hours today. At first, I was a little frustrated with the game, as it took a little bit to get use to the controls (like Crazy Taxi, power slides are crucial). The graphics, as many have said before me, are absolutely drop dead gorgeous. The replays are mistakable for real life. Physics, for the most part, seem pretty solid.

After getting a few missions under my belt, I began to enjoy this game a lot more. It doesn't have revolutionary gameplay. Instead, it builds upon a rock-solid base of arcade smash-em-up driving games and delivers an entertaining experience. I am having a blast right now, and I anticipate that the replay value will come from both attempting to better my times (like I spent many hours doing in Crazy Taxi), and finding the hidden goals/codes.

At this point, I am very happy with my purchase and expect that it will get as much playing time as Oddworld and NFL2K2, though probably not as much as Halo.

----

Joel

17. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I spent about an hour tonight with this one -so far, it is a fun game. Graphics are nice, except this is the first X-Box game that I have seen which does not fill the entire screen -it is slightly cropped on both sides, much like quite a few PS2 games are. I hope that this is not the start of a trend, because I hate having windowboxed games... those black bars running up the side just irritate me :p)

The replays are great, as you can steer the camera any way you want to with the right analog stick and switch between viewing angles and modes. The dynamic replay mode (for lack of an official term) also uses some trippy looking solarization and glowing edges filters.

I never played Super Runabout, but the closest thing I would compare this game to (very close) is the 'Die Hard with a Vengeance' driving game from 'Die Hard Trilogy' on the Playstation/PSX. If you enjoyed that game, you should enjoy this as well.

18. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Thanks for the reviews everyone. Brian confirms what I've been suspecting - this is fundamentally Runabout 3 by another name. Other than some stunning graphics it didn't look like anything revolutionary, but as someone who rather liked the previous game apart from some graphical oddities and general roughness like draw distance this strikes me as good clean fun.

(edited it to make it plain I mean I like Super Runabout, not Wreckless, which I've yet to see moving)

19. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Thanks for the reviews. So I guess this one might be a rental? There's a demo on the next OXM disc, so maybe I'll wait to try that before buying.

-Dan