What's new

Hands On Listening Comparison Between the Two Pre/Pro's: 950 and 1066 (1 Viewer)

W

Will

Separating the wheat from the chaff, there's still a total of one volunteer. Currently only Jeff Engel in the Dallas area has volunteered, with his 1066.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Merc,
A/B testing in same room at same time? I thought you and Gene Lockaby INSISTED with me that the MC1 sounded cleaner that than DC2 when: 1) I don't think either of you listend to both units at the same time, and 2) I told you that Buzz Goddard said "the audio inards are the same" (a statement that Gene discounted because he wanted more elaboration...why would "audio innards are the same" need no futher elaboration is beyond me). What made you change your mind :)
Guys,
Unless you have both (or any two) HT processors at the same time, it will be very tough to tell a difference in stereo and dd/dts. If you can't compare them at the same time, do you at least pull out your RS meter and listen at the roughly the same SPL levels? (even if within 1-2 dB, much less the ideal 0.1 - 0.5 dB). DPL1 vs 5 channel stereo, or DPL2 vs 2.0 Logic7 is a easier as the surround processing algorithms are quite different.
On the Outlaw/Rotel challenge, I have an MC1, live in Northern NJ near manhattan....from the movie Predator, I'll say "Anytime........."

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If there is going to be a comparison test I'd like to come especially if its in Dallas.

Merc,

If what you say is true it comes down to features.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I would, - but I have two (three) major drawbacks.
One: I mailed a 'check' for it today, I'm sure Outlaw will wait for it to clear, so no idea of my delivery date. (I won't charge it cause I'm cleaning off the cards for a trip.)
Two: The trip, timing will get tight (950 arrival and my leaving) and I won't be back till 6-3.
If you guys can't find a taker by then, I'll try, - I do love 'comparison shopping'.
Three: (and this is the BIG ONE) "Honey, but I'm just going over to these strange men's house, who I met on the INTERNET" :)

Chip E

Screenwriter
Well i've had a 5803 for a couple weeks now... still evaluating and playing with all the features but, i can tell you all that, besides the remote, i like it overall better than the B&K 307 i owned for almost a year(mostly due to the processing..they both sound incredible). The sound of this receiver and the processing is amazing! Like i said, still getting used to it but, so far, so great! :emoji_thumbsup:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Will, I'm somewhere on the 950 waiting list, and I'll offer to compare it here in Austin. I hosted our first Austin HT meet and am about to do it again this Saturday, so we have a group of folks who might be interested in participating. If someone here will offer their quality power amp, we can compare other pre/pros with my 950 when I receive it.

J

John Morris

Merc,A/B testing in same room at same time? I thought you and Gene Lockaby INSISTED with me that the MC1 sounded cleaner that than DC2 when: 1) I don't think either of you listend to both units at the same time, and 2) I told you that Buzz Goddard said "the audio inards are the same" (a statement that Gene discounted because he wanted more elaboration...why would "audio innards are the same" need no futher elaboration is beyond me). What made you change your mind?
Ricky: Who said I changed my mind? I heard what I heard(IMO, the MC-1 had less digital grain during music playback using the analog inputs).That said, I'm not so much an egotist to believe that my opinion is ever a be all end all, or that each one of us might not hear something different given the same circumstances. Heck, each one of us, individually, might hear something different based on our degree of stress at the time of testing. NO, scientific methodology can remove ALL confounding factors when testing electronics with our senses.

My response with regard to using the ABX box was just a comment based on the previous comment by Steve that they should test blindly to remove potential biases. If anyone feels that they might have a bias which will infect or alter what they hear, then probably, an ABX box will make them feel like their opinion has more validity for themselves. Others, who don't feel that way will be very happy and confident with their decision based just on careful, comparative, crossover listening. ONLY the buyer need be pleased with their decision... our buying decisions are not science, but rather personal opinion based on ALL that we are, and all that we can afford, individually.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Merc,

So your ears (or between your ears) tell you that the MC1 has less grain than the DC2 even though the audio innards are the same?

I agree about the switch boxes, four Radio Shack rca switchers at $15 each should do.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Ricky,
it must have been the high end cables he was using on the MC-1. Or maybe the MC-1 had been broken in, you know, so the electrons and what not had a cleaner path to travel on.
hehe, sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

J

John Morris

it must have been the high end cables he was using on the MC-1. Or maybe the MC-1 had been broken in, you know, so the electrons and what not had a cleaner path to travel on. hehe, sorry, couldn't resist.
Brian:You must be confused. I don't use expensive boutique cables and I think it is simply silly that some folks believe that all solid state gear needs to "burn in" to achieve better sonic performance. If you remember, I was the one who wondered aloud about the Oddyssey amps needing more than 8 weeks of constant use before the amps reached their full sonic potential. This is about as silly as one telecommunications company saying their system "sounds" better than another of equal quality. hehe, sorry but I couldn't resist. ;)

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Merc,
lol
I remember that post and agree with you in regards to cables and SS break in. (me just being an a**)
It's as much about perception and personal feeling. Somedays I feel better in my khaki's, some days I feel better in my slacks. Some guys like fat chicks, some guys like skinny chicks, some.... you get the point! :)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
What can the 1066 be had for? I see retail is around $1500. I'm sure you can find one for $1200? I'm very very interested in the comparison between these two...thanks in advance to whoever can do it...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Will,

how about that you purchase a 1066 and since I got a 950 then we can compare it to one another.

To me either one of us's place is fine.

I'm a game if you are!

J

John Morris

Lewis and Will: If you guys decide to do the test, you might find that Peter from Outlaw and his old friend, the President of Rotel, may want to join you two as biased observers. ;)

W

Will

The number of volunteers has doubled since yesterday, to a grand total of two.
Lewis Besze in Corona CA volunteered his 950.
Jeff Engel in Dallas TX volunteered his 1066.
I'm surprised by the response from the many HTF people who regularly praise their 950 and who now have produciton units. Would any 950 ex-beta tester with a production 950 care to volunteer for a hands on listening comparison?

J

John Morris

I'm surprised by the response from the many HTF people who regularly praise their 950 and who now have produciton units. Would any 950 ex-beta tester with a production 950 care to volunteer for a hands on listening comparison?
Will: After now listening to both units, I already KNOW what I think. I need no further testing to make up my mind. I now have my system as perfect as I'm gonna get it for awhile. What's in it for me if I spend the hours needed to pull apart my entire rack and dozens of lockable interconnects all over again, move the unit somewhere else, and then have to spend the time and effort reinstalling the 950 into my rack all over again?
Sorry, but I've done enough public service testing for now. If you want to take up a collection and then make a deposit into my PayPal account, maybe that would change my mind. :D Nah! Not even that would make me change my mind.
In the meantime, what is most important is for folks to listen to both units themselves, in their own room and with their own systems, and make a decision for themselves. Folks already know the units they want to try, from those units which meets their needs and are within their budget. They should demo those units and buy the one that they like the best, not the one that WE like the best.
In fact Will, why don't YOU get both units, listen to them with your system, and just return the unit you like the least. That way, you won't even have to tell us if you like the 950 the best, if you care not to... ;)

W

Will

What's in it for me if I spend the hours needed to pull apart my entire rack and dozens of lockable interconnects all over again, move the unit somewhere else, and then have to spend the time and effort reinstalling the 950 into my rack all over again?

Nobody should participate in a public pre/pro comparison who doesn't want to. I fully understand the reluctance. Don't worry it's ok.

But for anyone who wants to, and who has a 950 or 1066, here's your chance to volunteer! Many HTF people would probably be very interested in hearing your conclusions. I know I would, since I don't have a 950 or 1066 yet. I volunteer my amps and speakers and my home in West Los Angeles, if a neutral location is desired.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think Will wanted to find out which pre/pro would be better for him,that's why I've have "challenged" him but he's unwilling,I think,he rather have, see others volunteer

then himself.

If you wanna find out which to buy you gotta "invest" yourself as well.

My offer is still stand!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks