What's new

Hulu Handmaid's Tale Season 5 (Hulu) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
maxresdefault.jpg

Not certain how many are still hanging in there for this show after four seasons

I have been watching all four seasons over the past two months and am now caught up.

The fifth season drops on September 14th

Truly, as much as I enjoy Handmaid's Tale I think this show has gone on much too long.

And saying that, I am now learning it has just been approved for Season 6, which will be final.

Going to continue watching and hopefully join some of you for conversation as episodes drop.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll join in. It doesn't appear to be a huge draw among HTFers though.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ve watched the whole series. It’s very good but kind of hard to watch as it’s pretty dark. I’m glad to hear the eventual season six will be the last and hope for some sort of happy/optimistic ending.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doesn't seem to be much interest in this series on HTF anymore. Nonetheless. I'll add a small comment about my Season 5 viewing experience thus far. Spoilers are included as there isn't a large readership in this thread...

I am up-to-date on the first four episodes of this season.

Remarkably, it's still holding my interest so credit must be given to the show's writers that they are trying to keep things fresh despite the death of one of its most iconic characters.

While I realize this is "entertainment" whose rules hold no value in the real world, I think my biggest concern is how much freedom June Osborn has in murdering people and waving around and even shooting a gun in public areas without consequences.

I could sort of buy into the explanation that she wasn't charged for murdering Commander Waterford as it happened in a territory known as "no man's land." I mean, my face just went blank after she turned herself in to the Canadian Government after admitting the murder only to be let go...

...and everyone knows, including a member of the Canadian government that she's a huge threat and has been walking the streets with a gun. Seems to be no concern, however.

I suppose as much as I wanted to see June Osborn escape Gilead in the early seasons, now that she has, it has turned into a vigilante story. Doesn't feel like the same show anymore and that's probably because, as has been discussed in prior season threads, the writers are working outside of the original novel at this point.

Still, as I previously mentioned, the show remains mostly entertaining though I worry about it overstaying its welcome.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm probably here talking to myself, but let this serve as a time capsule statement in case someone from the future is considering watching this series and wants to know when it might be a good time to give up...

Having recently finished Season Five, I can say in confidence that this series jumped the shark a long time ago and has been running on empty for quite some time now.

In fact, this is a completely different show than it was for the first two seasons -- and yes, I understand why. However, as I previously mentioned, it has become almost void in being about the Handmaids and their patriarchal society in favor of a vigilante story that has overstayed its welcome.

Spoiler ahead...

What I found laughable about Season 5 was its inclusion of a military rescue that the viewer had to know from the start would fail. It was extremely predictable that had it been a successful rescue, it would have ended the show as there would no longer be motivation for its main characters to continue their pursuit.

Thing is, it's kind of hard to walk away from this series with 5 seasons under my belt I am going in with blind faith that Season 6 (which is to be the final) ends on a high note.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think it peaked at the end of season 3 and has been treading water since, but I am curious to see how it ends.

I'll give The Testaments a shot too.

Yeah, I am with you. We made it this far...

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Kind of just skimming the comments carefully since I’m only 5 episodes into this new season and don’t want to be spoiled. But sounds like the comments are unfavorable. My opinion so far is that it’s still an okay show, I don’t know if ever “liked” it but have always felt invested enough to see how it’s going to conclude. I’m ready for it to be over and if there’s a season six I really hope that that’ll be it. It’s just such an emotionally taxing show but want to see it to the end.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We watched Season 5, starting a couple weeks late but then watching in real time, usually on Wednesdays when it dropped.

I remain impressed with The Handmaid’s Tale. It hasn’t had a bad season. Everytime, it finds somewhere new and fresh and incisive to go with its characters.

And while I expect Season 6 to also be strong, I feel that it’s reaching the end of where the characters and their stories can go, within its constraints. And having an intentional ending should make for a strong conclusion.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm probably here talking to myself, but let this serve as a time capsule statement in case someone from the future is considering watching this series and wants to know when it might be a good time to give up...

Having recently finished Season Five, I can say in confidence that this series jumped the shark a long time ago and has been running on empty for quite some time now.

In fact, this is a completely different show than it was for the first two seasons -- and yes, I understand why. However, as I previously mentioned, it has become almost void in being about the Handmaids and their patriarchal society in favor of a vigilante story that has overstayed its welcome.

Spoiler ahead...

What I found laughable about Season 5 was its inclusion of a military rescue that the viewer had to know from the start would fail. It was extremely predictable that had it been a successful rescue, it would have ended the show as there would no longer be motivation for its main characters to continue their pursuit.

Thing is, it's kind of hard to walk away from this series with 5 seasons under my belt I am going in with blind faith that Season 6 (which is to be the final) ends on a high note.

Season 5 started off with an utterly broken June seeking revenge. It ended with her re-discovering her humanity and capacity for compassion.

Season 5 had a lot:
  • Jeanine going full DGAF: finally allowing herself to acknowledge the horror of her existence in Gilead, and no longer being willing to bent to its rules, willing to speak plain truths to her tormentors
  • Lydia, pressed by Jeanine, also letting go of some measure of her willful denial of Gilead’s evils. There was brief and perfect dialog between her and Command Lawrence, where he comments to her that she knows all the Commander’s indulge in some kink. Lydia responds “Do I?” And he says back wryly, knowingly, but not scornful, “Don’t you?” And it pauses for a beat where Lydia takes in that she is part of the evil but ignores its scope.
  • Luke trying to understand June, trying to help her, trying to protect her, trying to support her, trying to constrain her. He’s flawed and struggling, it’s from love, but it’s often the wrong thing to do. He’s struggling through his guilt for having not acted, for June being her own rescuer. His act of calling immigration services on Serena was another perfect piece of writing and character activity.
  • Serena, becoming a de facto Handmaid. Yet again pressed down by her own creation. And yet she refuses to recognize she acts against her own self interests. Could Serena redeem herself? Had Luke not called immigration services, would she have followed through on what she was starting to grasp? Are there people who cannot be redeemed?
  • The underlying world-building aspect that Gilead is having babies, Lawrence’s horrible plan, perhaps made worse co-opted by religious fanatics but perhaps not, is effective against the ecological and fertility collapse. And there’s power. The implicit theme of evil being justified, ends vs means.
  • June is a complete wreck. And they let her grow and actually realize that her desire for compassion is greater than her desire for revenge.

The first season is sublime. But here in Season 5, Handmaid’s Tale still cuts deep with its characters, its ideas, its themes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks