Handmaid's Tale Season 3 (Hulu)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No love for The Handmaid's Tale on HTF, I guess. I think it's a remarkable series, that they've kept interesting beyond the first season, which was basically the novel. It is difficult material, though. Not much of a reprieve from the grim subject matter.

GlennF

Second Unit
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I thought the first season was amazing! Season two I found some episodes dragged. Will definitely give Season 3 a shot. Starts tonight in Canada.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it's a spectacular show. I'm not new to the story, having read the novel 10-12 years ago. Maybe I'll revisit it. I think it's steadily gained steam with each season. Far from "dragging", I thought season 2 got down into the grimy dirt of the whole situation. It was outright brutal at times, also bringing in some topical issues that probably puts off some viewers. So far, season 3 has continued to crank it up, as far as I'm concerned. The character of Lawrence (Bradley Whitford) is especially intriguing to me. And, of course, Emily (Alexis Bledel) is the real surprise of the series.

Reactions: joshEH

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well I thought the third season was pretty uneven, until the last few episodes anyway. But the finale was great.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well I thought the third season was pretty uneven, until the last few episodes anyway. But the finale was great.
I agree. Too much time spent with Elisabeth Moss glaring at the camera. They just dropped Emily the entire second half of the season, until the end of the final episode. But... the uneasy ambiguity of Commander Lawrence made for a good bit of enduring suspense. The turn of events for the Waterfords was a great idea, that I think might have been mishandled a bit. June's turns to the dark side were also good.

I know a lot of people seemed to dislike the second season, but I thought it was awesome. It really took off the gloves and got it's nasty on. I know it was probably too relentlessly grim for most people.

Reactions: Greg.K

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
My wife and I just finished going through all three seasons. Pretty much an episode a day, with a few days off between each season. “Relentlessly grim” is a good way to describe it. But we liked it a lot the whole way through, even if it boils the blood every step of the way. At least the last few episodes of season three had some really hopeful/inspired turns;
Stabler’s death, the Waterford’s arrest, the success of getting those 50+ kids to Canada
Very curious, though, how much longer the series will be. If they have a grand plan of sorts with an endgame in mind, they can go for however long they see fit, I suppose. I’d be fine with another season or two, but I don’t know how much of this effed up stuff I can take! lol!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16