What's new

Handgun Registration Question (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My Mother-In-Law recently gave me a .25 cal handgun she no longer wanted. It was originally given to her by her dad a number of years ago. This is the first handgun I've ever had so I know nothing about how to get it registered, if it even needs to be registered, if I'm required to get a liscense (it's locked up in a vault at my house and I have no need nor desire to carry it with me) or anything like that. I live in Arkansas if that helps. (I imagine the handgun laws are most likely different for each state.)

Can anyone give any advice or point me toward a site which can?

Thanks.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Texas, we are big gun fans here. If she just gave it to you I wouldnt worry about it. The less paperwork floating around the better. Theres no need to register it unless you plan on carrying it, which you said you dont. I would go talk to one of your local gunsmiths about the need to register it or not.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Your state and local gun laws should be online somewhere, I'd check those. I would think it would be OK if you own it and keep it in the home. Carrying it without a permit is very bad and can get you jail time.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine AK has much of any odd policies. It's a gift, probably never registerred if it's of any age. Do what you want with it and I wouldn't worry.
and I'd imagine anything you wanted to know can be found here
http://www.arpa-online.org/

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
There's been a lot of press here in Virginia over the last several weeks about handguns. Virginia has always allowed anyone to carry a handgun in plain site but a concealed permit is needed for out of view carrying. A lot of folks have been showing up at local restaurants and such with handguns holstered on their hips. People get scared and have called 911, the cops show up see the folks with their guns and say 'have a nice day'. No laws are being broken.

This site may be of some help for you.

http://www.packing.org/

Jeff

E

Eric Kahn

There is no federal law requiring the registration of a handgun, entirely a state issue and I have not heard that Arkansas requires it
call one of the local gun stores and ask them

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

not an uncommon law, you can open carry in CO also, but the cops around denver will find a way to arrest you and hassle you so you don't do it again.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Laws not only vary from state to state, but from city to city. Your best bet is to call (or visit) the local police department and simply ask. :) They'll be more than happy to tell you and if any kind of registration is required they'll be able to guide you through the process and probably provide the forms.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks