What's new

Hammer Titles (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
For a while, it seems like i was getting my "fix" of Hammer titles quite regularly...but new ones have not appeared in quite sometime...Does anyone know if new ones should be coming in the next couple of months?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The only one I know of that's coming up is Hound of the Baskervilles '59 by MGM on 5/7

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD Drive In Warners is working on special edition releases of HORROR OF DRACULA and THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN that will include commentaries by Christopher Lee. Lee's participation in LORD OF THE RINGS and ATTACK OF THE CLONES will probably bring renewed interest in some other titles as well.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Arise dead thread, arise!
Muhhahahaha!
Seriously, I've spent a little bit of time looking for the appropriate Hammer thread to resurrect in order to mention that Anchor Bay Entertainment has Bette Davis' The Anniversary listed on their In The Future section. This is great news because Hammer title news has been as quite as tomb lately. Bad pun intended. :)
If any administrators are reading this thread, I would like to make a small suggestion, could we establish an offical Hammer films on DVD thread? I was hesitant to start a new thread because of all the existing ones, but the vast majority of those other threads are disjointed, so I thought one official one might help.
Thanks.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Jay,
Excellent news. Though I believe I, Monster is Amicus, not Hammer. Not that it matters, I will buy it anyway. :)
However, this is why I think there should be a dedicated resource for this studio's (and Amicus' for that matter) films on DVD. I totally missed that announcement.
Also, can anyone refer me to a comprehensive list of Hammer films on DVD? Is Zeta Minor generally recognized as the best?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Peter, I forgot that it was an Amicus film.

I would also like to see an official Hammer thread, or maybe a classic Horror/Sci-Fi thread for older films which can include Hammer films.

DieterW

Agent
January 17th, 2 new titles will appear in the UK:

Island of Terror (1966)

Blood Beast Terror (1968)

Both DVDs will be released by DD Home Entertainment (SRP: £15.99). Peter Cushing stars in both movies. The latter has already been released in the US by Image entertainment in 2000.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Island of Terror (1966), is one of my most wanted titles as it was a childhood favorite of mine. When I saw that this was being released I actually gave out a little yell at work.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
And January 17 will see the release of DEVIL SHIP PIRATES in the UK. Most sites list it as full frame, but it is a widescreen film (released in "Hammerscope")and released in a letterboxed version on VHS, so I'm hoping Amazon.uk et al are wrong and that the disc will be widescreen.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I'm really only interested in Hammer's Dracula films, as I love Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, but just never got into their other films, such as Mummy, Frankenstein, etc. With Horror of Dracula, Taste the Blood of Dracula and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, does anyone know if Warner will release anamorphic versions of The Satanic Rites of Dracula/Dracula and His Vampire Brides, The Brides of Dracula and Dracula A.D. 1972? Aside from Horror of Dracula, the other movies weren't very good, but I want them, just the same.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Universal owns the U.S. rights to THE BRIDES OF DRACULA.

DRACULA A.D. 1972 is sure to come along at some point from Warner. Maybe we'll get lucky this Halloween.

As for SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA, I think the U.S> rights to that reverted from Anchor Bay to Blue Underground but they are unlikely to put any money into a release of it since the film is out on about 65 public domain versions already.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Someone wake me up when Universal finally gets around to releasing their Hammer titles.

thanks in advance

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Now that Anchor Bay has begun to release some Fox titles, I'm hoping we'll finally get an R1 release of She.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Rumor has it that Universal will release all of their Hammer titles this year in a package like their Classic Monsters series. Again, just a rumor.

The Anchor Bay Hammer titles are going to Blue Underground at some point but they'll probably only be repackaged. AB has already repackaged them and they could do it again.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Actually, Jack, the 1965 version of SHE belongs to Warner Bros here in the U.S.A. as it was distributed to theaters and (later) TV by MGM (and was still true for the LD edition in the 1990s).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm really only interested in Hammer's Dracula films, as I love Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, but just never got into their other films, such as Mummy, Frankenstein, etc.
If you love Peter Cushing, you can't afford to be without his Frankenstein films. Check them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks