Hammer Horror films on LD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_K, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

yes it's another dumb question from an LD newbie [​IMG]
    I'm interested in any opinions of Hammer Horror films on LD (just the films not on DVD and probably may never get to DVD). The ones I'm most interested in getting opinions of are:
    HORROR OF DRACULA - I've read that the Warner transfer is edited, non OAR and not very good.
    BRIDES OF DRACULA - This one I've read has a better transfer than Horror but is still not OAR.
    REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN - I read the same comments as Brides.
    CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN - seems to be the best of the lot. I've read the transfer is very good and its OAR.
    Are these reviews on target?
    Are there better import (japanese NTSC) versions of any of these worth seeking out?
    Jim
    [Edited last by Jim_K on November 17, 2001 at 10:04 AM]

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    You have fairly accurate information. HORROR OF DRACULA was actually re-pressed by Warner to include the previously missing brief shot of blood spurting up from the staking of a vampire, but otherwise the transfer remains P&S (although the title sequence is letterboxed), and the colors weak - just nothing close to the gorgeous Technicolor of the theatrical experience. CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN is somewhat, but not much, better - at least there are a few widescreen copies out there, which were pressed shortly before laser disappeared from the market. Columbia's REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN has better color, but is, as you say, pan and scan. THE GORGON looks atrocious...don't bother. The Universal titles have truly outstanding color - the best of any Hammer LD titles save perhaps the Anchor Bay widescreen series, but they are not OAR. BRIDES OF DRACULA and CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF are both excellent. PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, paired with the widescreen PARANOIAC, also looks splendid except, for whatever reason, it too is pan and scan. There is another double feature The double feature of NIGHTMARE and KISS OF THE VAMPIRE are both widescreen and look very nice. I have not seen the pan and scan EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN. KISS OF THE VAMPIRE was the first and so far only Universal color Hammer title to be issued in widescreen, and copies of the now OOP Image DVD can still be found for around ten bucks. It looks superb. Hope this helps.

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Dick,
    thanks for the info. I do own the KISS OF THE VAMPIRE DVD - it's one of my favorite Hammer titles [​IMG]
    Just how bad is HORROR OF DRACULA - bad compared to other LD's or VHS quality bad?
    CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN - Just for being in OAR sounds worth it for me. Hell it's got to be better than VHS. Now I just have to find a copy. [​IMG]
    BRIDES & REVENGE might be worth it even though they're not OAR ( if they were filmed in scope then its another matter)
    I don't see any other alternatives as I have no faith these will ever be released on DVD. Columbia doesn't even acknowledge that they own REVENGE.
    So I guess then there are no legendary imports of these 4 films i.e. the extremely rare uncut japanese import FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL ?
    Jim

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    HORROR OF DRACULA hasn't had a decent video release. It looks crappy in every incarnation. My suspicion is that Warner Bros. will eventually release this to DVD, along with CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, in widescreen, and it will look better than other video releases but still not exemplory (like THE MUMMY).

5. George_Reis

George_Reis Stunt Coordinator

I have the Japanese import laserdisc of FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL, and the print is very dark (same goes for the Japanese LD for CAPTAIN KRONOS, which I sold). If Paramount ever does these on DVD, we'll be in great shape.
    There also is a Japanese import laserdisc for DRACULA A.D. 1972 that looked great, and I doubt Warner will ever get to this on DVD.