What's new

Hammer Horror and Special Effects Collections- coming from Warner 10/6/2015 (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It will be interesting to read some other reviews as I think it is difficult to tell from the Beaver screen caps. One thing I am unsure of however is the AR as the full frame image looks better to me. The German release of Tarantula had both wide screen and full screen options and I wish Warners had chosen to do this for Them.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Looks like the the true look lies somewhere between the two??? Warner Bros. Home Video is one of the best. I'm thinking they gave it this look because they feel this is correct.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
My opinion, as it's called, of how Mr. Gwenn should look is based on, I don't know, having seen him in many films - thin is never how he looked. That's not an opinion, BTW. And I agree with everyone who says don't complain on the Warner page - that's ridiculous at this point. And then go read Mr. Harris's thoughts on the transfer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
haineshisway said:
My opinion, as it's called, of how Mr. Gwenn should look is based on, I don't know, having seen him in many films - thin is never how he looked. That's not an opinion, BTW. And I agree with everyone who says don't complain on the Warner page - that's ridiculous at this point. And then go read Mr. Harris's thoughts on the transfer.
After all he did play Santa Claus to perfection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
It will be interesting to read some other reviews as I think it is difficult to tell from the Beaver screen caps. One thing I am unsure of however is the AR as the full frame image looks better to me. The German release of Tarantula had both wide screen and full screen options and I wish Warners had chosen to do this for Them.
I'm glad Warner didn't as I want the film as it was intended to be presented.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Seriously if you're willing to petition Warner over screencaps/Tooze being Tooze I have a bridge I wanna sell ya.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Robert Crawford said:
This film is dear to my heart and one of my favorite films of all-time and I see nothing wrong with those screenshots except the color in the title and who knows which is more accurate anyhow.

Surely one of the numerous HTF members with long memories can help there.

Some claim they can recall the precise ratio and even the color scheme for viewings in the 60's so they might be some use here.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For what it's worth, I notice that DVD Beaver has modified the language of his original review and removed the "should be recalled" wording.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
(I suggested he do that on Facebook. I wasn't alone in suggesting that.)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Although I do think that he is far too generous regarding the quality of DVD and HD transfers, I do think that Glenn Erickson is one of the most insightful and informative reviewers on the web. I'm always excited and grateful for his informed reviews and thoughtful evaluations (even when I sometimes disagree with him).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah but the problem is Erickson doesn't write dvd reviews. DVD Savant is just a film history/nostalgia column that pretends to be a dvd review with a token little three sentence blurb at the end before the inevitable Excellent Excellent Excellent (unless its a George Lucas film then Erickson fully unloads as if George ran over his dog in 1973 or something).

I mean if you wanna know about film history, that's fine but don't try to sell it as something it isn't on a website where it doesn't really belong.

That and I got burned over the old CE3K dvd (which had terrible a/v yet got a triple E from Glenn E.)

So what were we talking about again? Oh yeah... giant ant movie. Not exactly sure how they could stretch a 35mm flat source, its just a simple crop and zoom job right?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Special Effects Collection has shipped so I'll have this tomorrow. :dance: Order of viewing is the following:

Them

Mighty Joe Young

Son of Kong

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
haineshisway said:

And I have, thank you very much. If Robert Harris is good with them (no pun intended) then I'm sure he's right and I'm happy about that. I also agree that complaining to WB about something like this before all of the information is in is a fool's errand, as seems to be apparent in this case. However, I'd like to say that IMO the tone of this thread sucks. There's certainly been enough snark to go around. I've seen this happen in similar threads about titles that may have controversial image or audio issues. Someone voices a concern and gets jumped on. HTF has always been a pretty friendly place but these types of reactions have become tiresome. I've also seen Mr. Gwenn in numerous films and have seen "THEM!" more times than I can count, but human memory is a very, very fallible thing. Ask any police investigator what the most unreliable form of evidence is and most will tell you that it's the eye witness account. When presented with empirical evidence that evidence needs to be taken into consideration. It can then be discounted or validated as the case may be, but the high and mighty tone gets really, really old.

No comment necessary from anyone. I just wanted to voice my opinion. I'll look forward to my delivery of this set tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks