What's new

Hammer Horror and Special Effects Collections- coming from Warner 10/6/2015 (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hurrah! My horror set just shipped! Time to fold them into my Halloween rotation!

Stop - Hammer Time!

hammertime.gif

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just great! Based on his screenshots there's certainly SOMETHING wrong with "THEM!". I agree that compared to the DVD the Blu-ray caps are clearly stretched horizontally. VERY DISAPPOINTING. "THEM!" was the main reason I pre-ordered this set.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Damn! I was hoping to see some real improvement in the BD, but I guess it's not to be. I still might cancel my order.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
dpippel said:
Just great! Based on his screenshots there's certainly SOMETHING wrong with "THEM!". I agree that compared to the DVD the Blu-ray caps are clearly stretched horizontally. VERY DISAPPOINTING. "THEM!" was the main reason I pre-ordered this set.
"Based on his screen shots." "Compared to the DVD." I will wait to see it, but frankly if you're comparing the two images Edmund Gwenn was portly, not thin, and for my money he looks more like Edmund Gwenn in the Blu-ray. I have no idea, but will not rush to judgment. The Beaver has done this repeatedly - he did it on Westworld, where the Blu-ray is clearly correct but different than the DVD, which WAS stretched the other way. As to the vibrant blue that's missing, I'm not sure anyone at this point would be able to say which color is correct - the vibrant blue or the more subdued Blu-ray. I love the "recall" without even attempting to get a comment from Warner Bros.

I'm not saying something may or may not be wrong - I am saying this is one person and they are making a comparison to a previous transfer.

EDIT: I just looked again and I'm really convinced that if these are accurate, the DVD was squeezed a bit - Gwenn is not thin and everyone else's faces also look thin. You wouldn't notice it in EITHER case if the screen shots weren't directly next to each other, but Gwenn looks his correct proportion in the Blu-ray and I'm going with that.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I agree with Bruce. The shift in geometry is so subtle you wouldn't even see it without a point of reference. And who is to say the geometry of the DVD is correct? I see no reason to panic at this point, I give Warner the benefit of the doubt.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
I dunno. How about waiting for a review from a site other than DVD Beaver, or better yet wait until seeing the disc for oneself before registering complaints?
Same here, others can do as they please, but I'm going to see for myself. Chances are I'm going to be very happy with this BD release.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
haineshisway said:
"Based on his screen shots." "Compared to the DVD." I will wait to see it, but frankly if you're comparing the two images Edmund Gwenn was portly, not thin, and for my money he looks more like Edmund Gwenn in the Blu-ray. I have no idea, but will not rush to judgment. The Beaver has done this repeatedly - he did it on Westworld, where the Blu-ray is clearly correct but different than the DVD, which WAS stretched the other way. As to the vibrant blue that's missing, I'm not sure anyone at this point would be able to say which color is correct - the vibrant blue or the more subdued Blu-ray. I love the "recall" without even attempting to get a comment from Warner Bros.

I'm not saying something may or may not be wrong - I am saying this is one person and they are making a comparison to a previous transfer.

EDIT: I just looked again and I'm really convinced that if these are accurate, the DVD was squeezed a bit - Gwenn is not thin and everyone else's faces also look thin. You wouldn't notice it in EITHER case if the screen shots weren't directly next to each other, but Gwenn looks his correct proportion in the Blu-ray and I'm going with that.

"Based on his screenshots" - yes, because it's all we have to go on at the moment. I'll not rush to judgement either but this film is very near and dear to my heart and I find the discrepancies here troubling. And really Bruce, making a comment "based on his screenshots" is no less valid than making a comment based on your opinion that "Gwenn looks his correct proportion". ;)

One thing is obvious - one of these transfers is closer to reality than the other.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
dpippel said:
"Based on his screenshots" - yes, because it's all we have to go on at the moment. I'll not rush to judgement either but this film is very near and dear to my heart and I find the discrepancies here troubling. And really Bruce, making a comment "based on his screenshots" is no less valid than making a comment based on your opinion that "Gwenn looks his correct proportion". ;)

One thing is obvious - one of these transfers is closer to reality than the other.
This film is dear to my heart and one of my favorite films of all-time and I see nothing wrong with those screenshots except the color in the title and who knows which is more accurate anyhow.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
This film is dear to my heart and one of my favorite films of all-time and I see nothing wrong with those screenshots except the color in the title and who knows which is more accurate anyhow.
My sentiments exactly.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I think the Beaver thinks he's onto another Dressed to Kill situation here. I don't think so.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
EddieLarkin said:
I too see nothing at all wrong with those caps, and point out that Gary Tooze has absolutely no idea what he's talking about when it comes to these sorts of things.

I heartily concur.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Agreed I have found reviews on that site highly questionable many times. They seem to base picture quality on nothing but bit rate. So if its a high bit rate its automatically a stellar image :rolleyes:
EddieLarkin said:
I too see nothing at all wrong with those caps, and point out that Gary Tooze has absolutely no idea what he's talking about when it comes to these sorts of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks