What's new

Hammer Horror and Special Effects Collections- coming from Warner 10/6/2015 (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Randy Korstick said:
When you have already upgraded from VHS to Laserdisc and then to DVD with few reservations you start to get a little more descriminating the 4th time around. :D
Not the case with me, unfortunately. I love the exponential improvement in image quality of many Blu-rays enough so that even buying some movies for a 5th or even 6th time (preceded by VHS, CED, Laser, DVD...and sometimes Super 8mm) is warranted for my favorite films. The '39 HUNCHBACK is a prime example of how stunning good restoration work can make a film that is 76 years old look...but you can find silent releases such as WINGS that are even older and see the same thing. Obviously there are a great many films I like but don't care quite enough about to purchase them again in this format, and I still find well-produced DVD's to be perfectly acceptable.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Not the case with me, unfortunately. I love the exponential improvement in image quality of many Blu-rays enough so that even buying some movies for a 5th or even 6th time (preceded by VHS, CED, Laser, DVD...and sometimes Super 8mm) is warranted for my favorite films. The '39 HUNCHBACK is a prime example of how stunning good restoration work can make a film that is 76 years old look...but you can find silent releases such as WINGS that are even older and see the same thing. Obviously there are a great many films I like but don't care quite enough about to purchase them again in this format, and I still find well-produced DVD's to be perfectly acceptable.
[/quote

I feel the same way too! Some SDs, upscaled look great, and if there wasn't BD then they would suffice...at least in my HT setup!

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Barr
Dick said:
I sat down and compared the recent WB releases of DARK VICTORY, NINOTCHKA, DODGE CITY and THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME and each one was substantially superior to their DVD counterpart. It's astounding to see these older films look so magnificent. Their are some DVDs (like NOW, VOYAGER) that seem so good HD improvement would seem minimal. It will interesting to see how they fare...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
In the original theatrical release, the orphanage fire in MIGHTY JOE YOUNG used a beautiful blend of tinting and toning to add visual impact to this sequence. Technicolor did the work on this elaborate sequence and it would only exist in an original nitrate print.

A 1953 re-issue substituted a red tint which was also effective but somewhat diminished.

I don't suppose that color effect has been restored in the new master?

And, yes, before anyone asks: THEM began filming on September 29, 1953 and is composed for 1.75:1.

themmemo1_edited-1.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Oh I agree for favorite films but I won't rebuy everything I like again. I find that DVD was the biggest improvement in the line and blu-ray while definitely a step up is not as big an improvement as DVD was over Laserdisc and VHS. Also it is unfortunate but less than half the Blus released actually receive a stunning restoration or I probably would be rebuying everything.

Dick said:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Randy Korstick said:
Oh I agree for favorite films but I won't rebuy everything I like again. I find that DVD was the biggest improvement in the line and blu-ray while definitely a step up is not as big an improvement as DVD was over Laserdisc and VHS. Also it is unfortunate but less than half the Blus released actually receive a stunning restoration or I probably would be rebuying everything.

DVD was a big improvement, but was still 480 (and should not be judged in this regard after being upconverted). When I watch a DVD on a 480 display, then watch the Blu-ray version on a 1080 display, I see as big an improvement in image quality as I've ever seen, and in fact in some cases, the biggest improvement I've ever seen between formats.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could see that but honestly don't. And this is coming from someone who constantly updated film formats and audio equipment because I notice even small changes. I would buy the film again on VHS just to get the "HiFi" version. I see an improvement in Blu Ray but most of the time I don't see as big an improvement as I expect to. That may also be because a lot of Blu releases are not true HD restorations but many times just HD remastered or upconverts.

Dr Griffin said:
DVD was a big improvement, but was still 480 (and should not be judged in this regard after being upconverted). When I watch a DVD on a 480 display, then watch the Blu-ray version on a 1080 display, I see as big an improvement in image quality as I've ever seen, and in fact in some cases, the biggest improvement I've ever seen between formats.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Randy Korstick said:
I wish I could see that but honestly don't. And this is coming from someone who constantly updated film formats and audio equipment because I notice even small changes. I would buy the film again on VHS just to get the "HiFi" version. I see an improvement in Blu Ray but most of the time I don't see as big an improvement as I expect to. That may also be because a lot of Blu releases are not true HD restorations but many times just HD remastered or upconverts.

One of my earliest DVD impressions was that it was a revelation, but I grew up watching movies over antenna - I was not used to so much sharp detail.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I'm really encouraged by the statements from Feltenstein, as CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN has been treated with extreme disrespect (and, in the case of the British Blu-ray, unbelievable incompetence and uninformed arrogance).

That both CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and HORROR OF DRACULA are being restored by Warner is very exciting to me.

Even the British Blu-ray of HORROR OF DRACULA has room for improvement (as anything black or dark in that release is totally lost).

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
Randy Korstick said:

I for one find it hard going back to a DVD after watching a number of films in a row on Blu-Ray. The digital compression is so much more obvious and annoying with a DVD. The haloing, aliasing, and pixelation stick out like a sore thumb.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Could not resist pre-ordering the Warner Horror Classics Vol 1 (actually Warner's Hammer Horror) today as it is the lowest price that I have seen. $42.99 on Amazon

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I can't stand different series in one box, so I had to pre-order the individual releases. Hopefully they go below $15 at some point, though since I have the UK Mummy already I'm spending roughly the same amount anyway. The Mummy from Lionsgate looks great, much better than Curse of Frankenstein and Dracula from Lionsgate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Special Effects box set and individual releases of those titles have been delayed until 10-27-15. So far, the Hammer titles are unaffected.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
DalekFlay said:
I can't stand different series in one box, so I had to pre-order the individual releases.

No kidding - I so badly want the individual releases, but I just cant justify the extra cash to buy them in singles. So box for me!

Robert Crawford said:
The Special Effects box set and individual releases of those titles have been delayed until 10-27-15. So far, the Hammer titles are unaffected.

That's unfortunate - I was hoping to include Them! in the Halloween rotation. Ah well, DVD for me I guess!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
No kidding - I so badly want the individual releases, but I just cant justify the extra cash to buy them in singles. So box for me!

That's unfortunate - I was hoping to include Them! in the Halloween rotation. Ah well, DVD for me I guess!
You may want to check Amazon. The prices have come down a little on the individual titles .

P

Patrick Donahue

Robert Crawford said:

I'm actually fine with that. October 6th was a heavy release day. My wallet thanks Warners for helping spread it out a little :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Still comes out to 56.66 for all 4 - and I got the box set for 38 and change. Not quite cheap enough for me to jump ship from the box and get them in singles.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I got the Special Effects Collection locked for $39.99 on Amazon a few weeks ago when they had a price drop (LOVE the pre-order price guarantee!). Also, not sad the release dates been moved to the 27th....October 6th was looking to be an expensive week!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I missed that $39.99 special on the Special Effects Collection, but now that its down to $42.99 I had to order!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks