What's new

Hammer Horror and Special Effects Collections- coming from Warner 10/6/2015 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, I hate to be picky, but I'd rather The Mummy be in a 'bells and whistles' triumvirate with Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein, and replaced in this set with the glorious Dracula: A.D. 1972.

Still, fabulous news all round.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Well, one would have expected better Hammer titles from WB straight-away. Namely Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein. Those two, along with The Mummy. Those three are the Wb-owned "prime Hammer" films that I was most looking forward too. Yes, those have been released in the UK but I would have hoped for alternative HD transfers by WB for those not satisfied with how the UK company handled them (particularly Frankenstein)

I guess the UK Hammer blu-rays will end up being the final word on those features

The SFX set looks better, though I would have opted for The Thing From Another World over Son of Kong, even though the SFX are more pronounced on the latter film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
JoHud said:
I guess the UK Hammer blu-rays will end up being the final word on those features

Why would you think that WB will never release them? I've always read that the elements for these two are a bit of a mess, so perhaps it's just gonna take more time.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
Why would you think that WB will never release them? I've always read that the elements for these two are a bit of a mess, so perhaps it's just gonna take more time.

For the time being I meant. I don't assume they'll never get around to it. Sorry that I wasn't clear in that regard. Could easily be element issues that precluded their release in this set.

May likely get another larger Hammer set some years down the line with those two offered as singles.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Brandon Conway said:
Per akijama, titles are:

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
The Mummy (1959)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Son of Kong (1933)

Them! (1954)
Totally in for the Special Effects set, especially Them!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
fqKq7ix.jpg
tHnyddq.png

NVklMQp.jpg

KzO1i25.jpg

TVUSwI1.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A pass from me. I have the UK Mummy & it's pretty good, & the other films are late sixties rubbish Hammers (well that's my take, they got worse & worse after the mid-sixties), I'm still hoping for a non-all blue Dracula sometime.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Brandon Conway said:
Per akijama, titles are:

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
The Mummy (1959)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Son of Kong (1933)

Them! (1954)
Many thanks (!!) to the powers that be for these two sets. I own THE MUMMY from the UK, which is an outstanding disc in every respect, so of course I'd have been in 7th Heaven had a better (i.e. sharper) version of CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN been included instead. Hopefully, that will be coming along. THE THING (1951) would also be a nice addition down the line, though I am guessing that the elements for the five minutes or so once removed from the film and now reinstated are probably not up to Blu-ray quality. But most of both of these sets have me mentally jumping for joy! Again, thank you, thank, and thank you!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I shall get both of these , just hope Warner don't release the US cut version of Taste the Blood which runs several minutes short.

Here in the UK back in the VHS days Warner used to rely on US versions so even after the BBC had finally aired the complete version of Taste the Blood uncut Warner reissued it a couple of years later on VHS in its 3 minutes short version again.

I have the UK dvd's , presumably the US dvd was the complete version?

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Billy Batson said:
A pass from me. I have the UK Mummy & it's pretty good, & the other films are late sixties rubbish Hammers (well that's my take, they got worse & worse after the mid-sixties), I'm still hoping for a non-all blue Dracula sometime.

Some of Hammers late 60's product was lacking but Frankenstein Must be Destroyed is second only to Curse in the Frank series. It's a superb movie with a great turn from Cushing

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The UK Mummy release is only available via third-party sellers on Amazon UK. I wonder what's up with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jls
Recent bookmarks