What's new

Hammer Goes Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
After purchasing a new display to replace my 5 year old Mits DLP with a failing Light Engine, I decided to update my Blu-ray source as well and picked up an Oppo BDP-93. And a region-free mod kit. *AND* (drum-roll) the Region B release of Quatermass and the Pit, which I screened last night.

Oh.My.God.

What a gorgeous transfer! Like many I've been stuck with the 1998 non-anamorphic Anchor Bay DVD release and have watched it at least a dozen times. The Studio Canal Blu-ray is an absolute revelation! Being a huge fan of the film, it was a major, major treat to experience it like this and was almost like seeing it again for the first time. Being able to pick this up ALMOST justifies the cash I dropped on the Oppo and the mod. Almost.

I can only hope that this sees a Region A or region free release fairly soon, because the fans outside of Europe really have no idea what they're missing. MAJOR kudos to the people responsible for working on this wonderful disc. Highly, HIGHLY recommended!

I may just watch it again tonight.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
dpippel said:
After purchasing a new display to replace my 5 year old Mits DLP with a failing Light Engine, I decided to update my Blu-ray source as well and picked up an Oppo BDP-93. And a region-free mod kit. *AND* (drum-roll) the Region B release of Quatermass and the Pit, which I screened last night.
Oh.My.God.
What a gorgeous transfer! Like many I've been stuck with the 1998 non-anamorphic Anchor Bay DVD release and have watched it at least a dozen times. The Studio Canal Blu-ray is an absolute revelation! Being a huge fan of the film, it was a major, major treat to experience it like this and was almost like seeing it again for the first time. Being able to pick this up ALMOST justifies the cash I dropped on the Oppo and the mod. Almost. :)
I did a similar thing. I upgraded to the Oppo BDP-93 last year. I also upgraded a Mits DLP to an LED this month. There are lots of good Region B releases to make the Oppo worthwhile. One word of caution: I tried playing one of my R2 PAL DVDs with the new setup last week and the playback was very jerky. By making some adjustments to the TV, I was able to make the jerkiness occur only every few seconds. Presumably, this jerkiness is framerate related. The "fix" turned out to be to set the Oppo to output PAL, and all was smooth.
I may have to get Quatermass. It's been years since I saw it last, and I frankly did not expect to hear that the Blu-ray would be so impressive.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
I decided to update my Blu-ray source as well and picked up an Oppo BDP-93. And a region-free mod kit. *AND* (drum-roll) the Region B release of Quatermass and the Pit, which I screened last night.
You rule. I plan on doing the same thing when Dracula Prince Of Darkness get re-released.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by David_B_K /t/317840/hammer-goes-blu-ray/30#post_3918407
I did a similar thing. I upgraded to the Oppo BDP-93 last year. I also upgraded a Mits DLP to an LED this month. There are lots of good Region B releases to make the Oppo worthwhile. One word of caution: I tried playing one of my R2 PAL DVDs with the new setup last week and the playback was very jerky. By making some adjustments to the TV, I was able to make the jerkiness occur only every few seconds. Presumably, this jerkiness is framerate related. The "fix" turned out to be to set the Oppo to output PAL, and all was smooth.
I may have to get Quatermass. It's been years since I saw it last, and I frankly did not expect to hear that the Blu-ray would be so impressive.

It's well worth it.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /t/317840/hammer-goes-blu-ray/30#post_3918472
You rule. I plan on doing the same thing when Dracula Prince Of Darkness get re-released.

I'm looking forward to this as well.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Paging Bob Furmanek:
Apparently the folks "restoring" The Curse Of Frankenstein are under the impression that it was photographed for 1:37 academy presentation. I am 99.99999% sure that this is incorrect as matted 1:66 presentations were standard in Europe in 1957. Here is their blog:
http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=135#comments

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, Scott. It's at least 1.66:1 and was shown here in 1.85:1. I've already posted in that discussion on June 28. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319469/aspect-ratio-research/210#post_3942715
1d1127ea_CurseofFrankenstein.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks