What's new

Pre-Order Hammer Films Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81AhHsFcLvL._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It's from Mill Creek and contains two films per disc. These are the films in this set.

The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1963)
These Are The Damned (1962)
The Old Dark House (1963)
The Gorgon (1964)
The Snorkel (1958)
Maniac (1963)
Die! Die! My Darling (1965)
Scream of Fear (1961)
Stop Me Before I Kill! (1961)
Never Take Candy From A Stranger (1960)
Cash On Demand (1961)
The Stranglers of Bombay (1960)
The Terror of the Tongs (1961)
The Pirates of Blood River (1962)
The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964)
The Camp on Blood Island (1958)
Yesterday's Enemy (1959)
Creatures the World Forgot (1971)

FYI The Pirates of Blood River (1962) was a Twilight Time blu ray.

From Mill Creek website:
For more than four decades, Hammer Films’ unique blend of horror, science fiction, thrills and comedy dominated countless drive-ins and movie theaters. Enjoy this massive collection from the darkest corners of the Hammer Imagination!

Featuring 20 Cult-Classics from the infamous Hammer Studios produced in the 50s, 60s and 70s available together for the first time in high-definition!

Last edited:

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I have some of the previous Hammer films on Mill Creek.. ( Hammer Films Double Feature series) basically bare bones collections with no special features. I'll stick with the Shout Factory releases.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Mill Creek is the worst of the worst.
terrible transfers and anemic bitrates.
Buy the (almost identical) collections from UK Powerhouse/Indicator.
they actually care about their collections.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
The Indicator Hammer box sets are very well done and have extensive special features. They cover most of these titles. I can't imagine Mill Creek will come anywhere close.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The MC set is for those people who just want the movies and couldn't care less about special features. People like me - now... I'd rather have the other, I'm sure much better, releases but the prices on these films I consider to be lesser Hammer offerings is just more than I'm willing to spend. And I couldn't care less about special features. Still... this set has lots of films I just don't care if I have DVD or BR so since I have DVD on the ones I don't much care for I'll be passing. Now... if they see fit to do an individual release of Creatures the World Forgot I'd get that one...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

granted all companies have hit and misses in therer releases, but you cant make a complete generalization like that, case in point, The Ultraman Series releases are Spot on as good as you are going to get, The Shield : Complete Series, Mothra, and the Kit Parker Film Noir collections all done by Mill Creek, and lets not forget the upcoming Inner Sanctum Mysteries which was delayed to add extra content, special feature , Hell even Universal didn't do that when they released "The Franchise Collection",

Mill Creek releases what they are given from whom ever they have the deal with, but ocassionaly i do see them pushing towards becoming a player with some of the more prestigious boutique independents that do releases, there is a fine line between releasing something like Arrow's Gamera set, and something that you can line the shelves at the local Walmart or any of the other general retailers that still cary items in stock and put them out. And at a price point that is withing the buget of some that may not be able to drop lots on a comprehensive collection, I hope this does well for them and i look forward to seeing if there next anouncement is somthing that warrents my attention,

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
And they're about two-and-a-half times the price.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I don't mind the Mill Creek versions being on the market. I own about 5 of the early Hammer double features. But as Shout Factory or one of the European companies comes out with commentary versions..I buy that one. Having a good commentary track is like having a full length documentary.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
This makes me laugh, considering how I had to fight almost to the death to get any Hammer titles out when I was at Sony. The three box sets I put together got splendid reviews and sold five to ten times their projections--which of course just royally pissed them off, because they hated being proven wrong, especially by the "creepy old guy who likes black-and-white."

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I got my missing booklet in the mail today, in an envelope postmarked December 8th in farflung Minnetonka, Minnesota. It's a cute little thing, with amusing graphics for each movie. I really like Mill Creek's effort here. They probably lack the budget to make a Shout Factory style box set, but the 6 commentaries are up to that standard, the featurettes are a mad dash through some of the films, and c'mon, 20 movies on credible Blu-Rays. Indicator it's not, but it's not priced that way either. I've watched the first 6 movies in the set (with commentaries) and the featurettes, and I've sampled, but haven't watched, the other 14 films included and I already feel like I got my money's worth. Well done, Mill Creek. I am wondering what happened to the one "Icons Of Adventure" movie that didn't make it to this set, "The Devil-Ship Pirates", though frankly, if they had just put "The Pirates of Blood River" on there twice I might not have noticed the difference.

HammerBooklet138788315_149964100079906_6502899535877569140_n.jpg

Last edited:

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
The old adage “you get what you pay for” is true in this case.
Garysb listed the features included, so here are the extras (according to Amazon).

Special Features:​

• 12-Page Movie and Feature Guide Booklet
  • Hammer Film Featurettes and Retrospectives
  • Hammer at Columbia Pictures
  • The Actors of Hammer Film
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb Retrospective
  • The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll Retrospective
  • Audio Commentaries: (I haven't researched this to see which ones, if any are new)
  • The Revenge of Frankenstein
    • Commentary with filmmaker/film historian Constantine Nasr and author/film historian Steve Haberman
  • The Old Dark House
    • Commentary with The Monster Party Podcast featuring James Gonis, Shawn Sheridan, Larry Strothe, and Matt Weinhold
  • The Gorgon
    • Commentary with writer/director Joshua Kennedy (House of the Gorgon)
  • The Snorkel
    • Commentary with writer/producer Phoef Sutton, writer/film historian Mark Jordan Legan, and screenwriter/film historian C. Courtney Joyner
  • Never Take Candy From A Stranger
    • Commentary with filmmaker/historian Constantine Nasr
  • Scream of Fear
    • Commentary with author/film historian Steve Haberman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks