What's new

Hammer Films Horror Series (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know why the Hammer Films Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. series are put out by more than one company? I have some on Anchor Bay, Columbia and Madacy. They are in keep cases.

I won't buy the Warner Bros. ones in snap cases. The graphics wear off and they look like crap!

Horror of Dracula is one of the best but I want to find it in a keep case. No luck yet.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

The reason why the gothic horrors of Hammer are not released by one video company is because they were not distributed theatrically by one studio and they own the video rights to them. There were several. Universal originally released "Horror of Dracula" to theaters in '58 and "The Mummy" in '59, but they were later sold to Warner. As a result these two along with "Curse of Frankenstein", which Warner always owned, released them on dvd. Universal own "Brides of Dracula" and "Curse of the Werewolf" etc. and others recently issued to dvd. "Revenge of Frankenstein" was released by Columbia in 1958 and on dvd a few years ago by Sony/Columbia. "Hound of the Baskervilles" was released by United Artists in 1958 and on dvd by MGM, now owned by Sony. Paramount own "Man Who Could Cheat Death" and Sony/Columbia own at least thirty other Hammer titles. "The Gorgon", "Terror of the Tongs" and "Stranglers of Bombay" are among them and they presently have no plans to release them.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Damn. I thought this was going to be a Universal bashing thread for their Hammer Horror Series. I had to return this recent title four times . . . and it's still defective! :angry:

I finally gave up. Resigned to the fact that having only two defects (freezes) across eight films was an improvement over my initial findings of only two films without defects. Universal's quality is PATHETIC! :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks