1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hamilton ()

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sam Posten, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Message #21 of 34 Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Well, we have, but not often and not as a wide theatrical release. Fathom Events and similar companies specializing in event releases shown a few professionally-filmed musicals in theaters over the last few years for one or two showings only most times. Billy Elliot, She Loves Me, Miss Saigon, Newsies, An American in Paris, Bandstand, The King and I and Kinky Boots come to mind. They then turn around and get shown on PBS a few months later. The recent London concert version of Les Miserables with Alfie Boe as Valjean and Michael Ball as Javert is the most recent example, as it was shown for two showings only in December.

This is the first time that something like this will get a full wide theatrical release as a "normal movie" with four showings a day for a normal theatrical window.

It might if they want to submit it. It was filmed with the intention of being shown in movie theaters and will be, so it could very well comply with eligibility requirements. George Hearn won an Emmy when he was in the stage taping of Sweeney Todd that aired on PBS. I don't think the Academy has a rule against filmed theatrical shows competing for Oscars because this has never happened before on this scale, so they have never needed to consider a rule for it. But also, I don't think Lin-Manuel Miranda is doing this in order to add more awards to his trophy case. I'm sure he and Disney will have a conversation about whether to submit it for awards consideration, and it will be interesting to see what they decide. But that seems to be beside the point for why he wants this to be released in this way.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

When the show played DC two years ago, I paid $100 for 2 tickets - and got them with ease.

I don't much like musicals, but this one intrigued me, so I decided to go. I thought it'd be tough to get tickets, as the Kennedy Center subscriber presale had apparently been a disaster that shut out 100s of fans.

When I signed onto the Kennedy Center site the AM of the general sale, I got put into a queue, and I was something like 48,000th in line - literally.

I went off to work and figured I'd check back later in the day. When I got home, I still wasn't at the front, but I was close.

When I finally got to the front of the line, I assumed there'd be few - if any - tickets actually available.

Nope - I was able to pick and choose whatever seats and shows I wanted, even at the "cheap" price level.

I bought 2 seats without knowing who would go with me - and was afraid I might have to eat the ticket if a friend didn't want to go.

I come from the world of concert tickets, where shows sell out rapidly. The fact there were still so many tickets left like 10 hours after the initial onsale made me think the shows would NEVER sell out!

They did - I think tickets were gone about 14 hours after onsale - and the first friend I asked wanted to go, so it worked out!

But anyone who says getting tickets to "Hamilton" is impossible - at least for the touring version - is wrong! It couldn't have been easier! :)

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I seriously doubt a "film" version of Hamilton will affect its Broadway run. The revival of Chicago opened in 1996 and the Oscar winning film version came out in 2002. As of 2/4/20, the show is still running on Broadway having accumulated over 9,650 performances to date with no end in sight.

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    @Colin Jacobson - on Broadway, those tickets do sell out as if they were big rock concert events. We have joked that it would be cheaper and easier to fly somewhere else to see it. My wife’s best friend wanted to see the show and it was cheaper for her to fly to London, stay at a hotel, and see it there than it was to just buy tickets to the New York version.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    We saw it on Broadway in August 2017. My spouse bought the tickets in November 2016 and she still paid something like $800 USD each (though they were dead centre and three rows above the stage--my spouse is a stage actor herself so she's great at choosing the optimal seats).

I'm 100% in on a filmed version. It can't come soon enough!

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    My daughter has seen it twice on Broadway and once in London, and it was cheaper to see it in London.
    The second time she saw it on Broadway was the night of the bomb scare with the mob running scared in Times Square, so she calmly collected her belongings and left the theater, walked to the subway and got home (she missed the end of the performance). The orchestra level of the theater was a mob scene with people running in from the street shouting "Bomb! Terrorists!, Etc."., and the audience reacting to FEAR!! Imagine someone yelling FIRE! in a packed theater and you get the idea. It was a disaster area in all theaters in Times Square that evening, and out in the streets as well.
    No one was hurt. No bombs. No terrorists. A motorcycle backfired.
    Hamilton proceeded after a long pause.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Here's the thing you guy's are not taking into account: ORIGINAL cast. I can't think of another broadway show where the cast has gone on to do so much remarkable work. Miranda himself is an EGOT. Leslie Odom is a star of stage, screen, TV and music. Other cast have gone on to all kinds of media. I got to see it 2 months after the big names left on broadway. It was soooo much different and yet still selling for $1000 a ticket each show. I can't imaagine what it would cost with all the originals back.

And I disagree that this will cause ticket prices to go down. They will go UP after the film comes out. For ALL versions of the road cast and Bway too.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  8. Message #28 of 34 Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Actually, not yet, although I'm sure he'll get there eventually. He is currently missing the Oscar. He was nominated for Best Song for How Far I'll Go from Moana, but lost to City of Stars in the year of La La Land. Depending on whether or not there is a new song in the film of In the Heights, he could win this next year. Or he'll have another shot when the live-action remake of The Little Mermaid is coming out because he is writing lyrics for its new songs.

9. Colin Jacobson

Oh, I don't doubt that it's really tough to get the Bway tickets.

But given the hype and all the controversy about KC members who got screwed in the presale, I thought the tix would sell out more quickly than 14 hours!

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This is the key selling point for me. When they do eventually make a movie adaptation, they might get some of the original cast back, but I doubt they'll get all of the original cast back.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Hamilton may have been to most major cities, but I guess Little Rock isn’t. We’re still waiting.

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It will come. They've got two tours running simultaneously, so they're covering a lot of ground, although they also stay a minimum of three weeks per stop so that's different than most ours. It's going to a lot of new places in the 2020-21 touring season. Most of the touring venues which get it announce it a year ahead of time.

13. Colin Jacobson

I heard the show will only play places that have indoor plumbing, so Arkansas is OUT! ;)

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Ooh! A low blow. ;)

Colin Jacobson likes this.