What's new

HAMILTON ON DVD AND BLU-RAY? (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Curious as to whether and when we might expect the filming of HAMILTON, currently showing on
Disney, to have a DVD and/or Blu-Ray release. Does anyone with an ear to the ground have an answer?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If it comes out on physical media, it will likely be a long wait. Disney paid $75 million for the rights with the idea that it would play in theaters; since they’ve shifted it to Disney+, its value to the company resides in driving signups to the service. Once it’s available outside the service, it’s no longer an incentive to join, which substantially reduces the value to Disney. I think it will happen eventually (it’ll be a good title to sell and something that will probably be counted on to sell a couple hundred copies a night once live performances of the show resume) but I don’t think it’s likely to happen for at least a year.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
If it comes out on physical media, it will likely be a long wait. Disney paid $75 million for the rights with the idea that it would play in theaters; since they’ve shifted it to Disney+, its value to the company resides in driving signups to the service. Once it’s available outside the service, it’s no longer an incentive to join, which substantially reduces the value to Disney. I think it will happen eventually (it’ll be a good title to sell and something that will probably be counted on to sell a couple hundred copies a night once live performances of the show resume) but I don’t think it’s likely to happen for at least a year.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they still gave it a 4th of July theatrical run next year, even if it's limited. At that point, it's mostly gravy, anyway.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fourth of July might be tricky (in a normal environment, you want a new tentpole in there), but I think the idea of a limited theatrical run during a slower time of year is a possibility.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is anyone aware if Disney ever issued that DVD disc of "Hamilton"?????

Nope

I would not get my hopes up. Disney hasn't been supporting physical media in general.

Anything could happen -- it could eventually see a disc release -- but as has been mentioned, with the huge amount of money Disney paid for the rights, they will probably want to keep it exclusive to their service.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
What are the discs being sold on eBay that purport to be from Disney, look like Disney DVDs, etc??? Are these bootlegs, screeners, or what?????

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Search "Hamilton DVD" on ebay. Seller vf4fd6 is selling it, has 6 copies. I don't know though, from what I'm reading here, it must be a bootleg.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Technically no.

The DMCA law does not allow copyright encryption to be broken for any reason - even legitimate ones allowed in other laws. So, technically, if you make a backup copy of a DVD you own, you’ve broken the law because the DMCA supersedes the earlier law that provided for making backup copies of material you own.

The Betamax doctrine allows for taping material off of broadcast signals for time shifting but it’s unclear if that applies to streaming - if it ever went to court, the answer is probably no. The reason being, a broadcast happens at one specific time so there is a compelling reason to allow the end user to record it to watch later. A stream, by contrast, can be played at any time so there’s no need to record it to watch it later.

The terms of service on Disney+ wouldn’t allow for breaking their encryption and they’d be within their rights to terminate someone’s account for doing so. But that’s a civil infraction, not a criminal one.

Most of this hasn’t been tested in court in the age of streaming but generally speaking the content producers have a lot of legal avenues to protect their rights and the consumers have very few.

I’m not speaking about morality here, of course. I don’t think it’s moral wrong to make a backup copy of something you’re legally entitled to view. But I wouldn’t want to get caught doing it either because I don’t want to deal with lawyers’ fees :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks