What's new

Hamilton on Broadway (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I buy all the Broadway cast albums each year, but left Hamilton to the last because I hate Hip-Hop. I was very pleasantly surprised that I absolutely loved the CDs. If ever a musical format was made to tell a story, this is it.

It is not your granny's Hip Hop, and well worth at least one listen. All the music is not rap or hip hop, and it does not at all talk about the life of a "gangsta" or "big booties" etc.

Get it out of the library. I am 66 years old next birthday, and if old white farts like me, who's favourite theatre music includes Gilbert and Sullivan, can get so much enjoyment out of it you might too.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We finally made it!

Nephew and I both loved it, he hadn't heard more than 3-4 of the songs. Loved king George.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much, Sam. I LOVE the fact that it is so acclaimed and that so many people are learning something about our founding fathers (who otherwise might not have).

But it is not for me. I've hear much of the music and cannot abide it (kinda the opposite reaction to Terry's above).

In fact, I saw Miranda perform an original prologue to the nominated song from Moana on the Oscars telecast and thought it could have been lifted from Hamilton with some lyrics changes and hated that, too. Words like pointess, inappropriate and superfluous come to mind.

But when you come away happy after putting down that kind of money for tix, it's all good! :thumbsup: And you guys definitely look happy! :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I remember going to see Chicago on a Friday night, having paid through the nose for tickets way in advance, and opening the Playbill to discover that Bebe Newirth had the night off. The entire audience started groaning!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The US Hamiltour has arrived in Houston, and I have tickets for Sunday night! The long wait is almost over. At this point I have listened to the cast album so much that I can pretty much rap/sing along with the whole show (well, as much as a 60-year old white dude can rap... ) - not that I will, of course!! I'm taking a friend who's aware of the show but to the best of my knowledge she has not heard a single note/word of it. It will be interesting to compare experiences afterwords.

There are two touring casts active right now - we're getting the "Angelica Cast" (the other group is the "Philip Cast", currently in Costa Mesa, CA). Has anyone out there seen either of the touring productions?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Have a GREAT time @Craig S

My only word of advice is do not let the different voices of the touring cast throw you. I saw the Broadway cast after the top 5-6 billed cast had left and it took me a bit to adapt. But you have to enjoy the show despite your ears saying 'something is off'

=)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw the Broadway cast after the top 5-6 billed cast had left and it took me a bit to adapt. But you have to enjoy the show despite your ears saying 'something is off'

That is why I always temporarily "retire" my cast albums a few months before I actually see a show live. It's not that I'll never have heard the score before, or that I would even want to erase it, but if it's been a while since I've played it, it's much easier to appreciate the unique take being done by the current performers.

There are two touring casts active right now - we're getting the "Angelica Cast" (the other group is the "Philip Cast", currently in Costa Mesa, CA). Has anyone out there seen either of the touring productions?

I saw the Angelica tour in February. You're in good hands; they're all terrific. I'd love to see them again and am glad you will get to do so. Enjoy!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have a passionate interest in Broadway musicals and cast albums. My wife of 37 years has been pretty good about it, and we go to all the shows together. Her one stipulation? She will not go to any show if she hears the music first. By the time a touring company arrives in our area, I can sing along with the entire thing. She believes it spoils a show if she knows any of the music.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yassssss
upload_2020-2-3_14-44-1.png

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
After years of pinning away to see this show, I finally scored tickets for the road show performance in Toronto in May.

My second concern, after worrying about the spread of the corona virus and the people who have contracted it, is that they will have to cancel all public performances and sporting events until the end of the health crisis!

Mistress9

BANNED
Real Name
Ramona
I have to say I don't understand the concept of this show. Before Donald Trump took office, Mike Pence went to see it and one of the black actors berated Pence at the end of the show saying his administration doesn't represent everyone. The show is presented as diversity but all of the real life characters were white? I don't get any of it, and have no interest in watching it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Originally, I had no interest in it for two reasons:
a) being Canadian I have minimal interest in US History, and
b) I hate hip hop music.

I do buy all original cast CDs however. I saved this one to the last to buy that year.

I immediately fell in love with the music, and listened to it over and over until I basically had the discs memorized.

We had to sell our soul to get three tickets for the touring company in Toronto May 3rd.

COVID19 killed that dream.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I LOVE the idea of Hamilton. Making important information about the founders accessible and enjoyable for our youth. Much like 1776 did in its day.

But I just cannot get past my dislike for the music (the entire hiphop genre). I've tried. I've listened. I watched the Tony's. I've seen other clips/performances of the show. I could never sit through it.

I'm pretty open-minded about music...so I'm totally putting all this on me. I really want to like the show and would then want to see the show someday. But I can't...so I won't.

The situation between me and Hamilton kinda eats at me a little bit.

But I don't like opera either. So it's in good company! :D
Kinda refreshing to see someone take personal responsibility. :thumbsup:

For the record, I don’t like hip hop either, but I’m going to have to listen to Hamilton on Prime and learn for myself.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We subscribe to Celebrity Attractions which brings in the road shows into Robinson Auditorium, the largest live theater in the state. Next season was scheduled to have Hamilton. :(:(:(

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We were scheduled for May 3rd in Toronto! It took a couple of days off and on at the computer to get them and a second mortgage. :(:wacko::(:wacko: At least we got a refund!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks